Citi AA Signature Visa - minimum spend requirement changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ljdmitry, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ljdmitry

ljdmitry Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone,

At the end of April I have applied for AA Signature Visa from Citi, and when I applied the terms had specified that I need to spend $1000 in the first 3 months of the account being open to receive 30,000 bonus miles. I travel a lot for business, so ended up fulfilling it all in several weeks with no effort, and shifted to using Starwood card in order to cover the spending requirement for that card. Long story short - today I have called Citi number on the back of the card to inquire about my miles not posted to the account only to find out that in their system I am enrolled in spend $3000 - receive 40K miles. I went back to all the emails from Citi and none of them specify the details of the offer. In addition, fine print in all of them says that Citi has a right to change the requirements for the bonus miles without any notice.

To make it worse - 3 months since the account has been opened have passed yesterday, so I would not be able to to spend the remaining amount. Definitely understand that it was my own mistake - not taking screenshots etc., but wanted to see if any body has an advice.

Should I just cancel the card and apply for the business version or Master Card? Would I still be eligible for bonus miles on those cards?
    Or you think there is a chance for me to still get the bonus from the existing card?

Thanks to all in advance!

Espan likes this.
  2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll let better experts than I respond to the eligibility question re: other card. But definitely a bummer. And you would've gotten an extra 10K miles if you'd known about it for some simple spend...

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went through this with Citi. They gave me a number to fax screenshots of the offer and rectified the miles within 3 days on their end. Took until a week after the statement date to see the miles on the account, but I had a personal contact email to send the information to so I was pretty secure in knowing it would happen.

Espan likes this.
  4. ljdmitry

ljdmitry Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep, actually able to book flights for work using personal business cards, so would definitely welcome the opportunity for the extra 10K have I known about it :(

Was it the same offer I have had? Unfortunately did not save any screenshots...

Kalboz and Espan like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember... if you look around the web you might find the same offer to screenshot.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Espan likes this.
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing that sticks in my craw about the Citi AA cards is the foreign transaction fee. I mean it's a co-branded airline card....

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They figure they can get away with it - extra fees for the regular joes who are focused solely on miles vs economics.

LETTERBOY and Espan like this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or for people who don't travel overseas enough for the fees to make much difference. Or for people who don't travel overseas at all (most Americans don't have passports).

If enough people complained about it, the banks would probably do something to lessen/eliminate them.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is just like all the other major co- branded credit cards. Delta gold, Us Air, and until a couple of months ago, United explorer all charge foreign transaction fees. A lot of the hotel cards charge foreign transaction fees as well and I find that to be more egregious.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The United MilagePlus Explore card does not charge foreign transaction fees anymore as of earlier this year.

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:

Well, right, these are travel cards. Egregious is good word choice. And good on United Explorer and Marriott and a few others for realizing that. Although, I've heard that some can sneak this in with their currency conversion models, although not in countries that use the US dollar (like Panama, or Ecuador, etc)

Kalboz likes this.
  12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both of the offers are still available with landing pages.

AA Signature Visa

Citi AA generic page with all offers

13. ljdmitry

ljdmitry Active Member

Status Points:

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did a quick check of my archives and I don't have it. I likely just printed out the offer, hand wrote a fax cover from the number given me over the phone, and faxed it off. No digital record on my end. Standard CS was able to give me the number, though.

15. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this thread is an important opportunity for everyone to learn the importance of talking to a CSR when activating a card to verify the terms of a sign-up. Best time to sort out issues is then and you can be positive of the situation.

Mike Reed and Espan like this.
  16. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had the Citi AA VISA card for the past 1.5 years and was told it has no foreign transaction fees at the time of sign up. Did this change?

17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only AA card that has no foreign transaction fee is the $450 annual fee Executive MasterCard (the one that gives you AC access).

Espan and boondr like this.
  18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'll call in and check as I signed up for CITI VISA and Capital ONE VISA a few years ago and was told both were no foreign fees at that time.

19. ljdmitry

ljdmitry Active Member

Status Points:
    Update: Just received a letter from Citi stating that 30,000 AA miles will be posted in my account shortly. Thanks a lot for everybody's help!

20. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Letterboy was correct.

From the T&Cs of the Citi Platinum Select Visa page:

Foreign Purchase Transaction
    3% of each purchase transaction in US dollars.

LETTERBOY and boondr like this.
  21. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a little different, but if you signed up for the 30,000 miles, you can SM and get the extra 20,000 as well. I did it today, and they matched it "to thank me for my business."