CITI AA retention offer

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Andyandy, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a master thread on CITI retention offers over at FT, but I don't see anything similar here.

Here's my experience. I was considering cancelling my AA visa. The earn isn't all that good and the annual fee is high for the limited benefits. Called and asked for retention department. I told the lady my concerns and was offered an $85 statment credit after making 5 purchases. Additionally was offered 500 bonus miles for each of the next 12 months in which I make at least $500 in purchases on the card. I kept the card!

Andyandy

2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same deal. There is a thread on this here somewhere

Kalboz, TAHKUCT and miles and smiles like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There actually have been a few threads in which people have shared their retention offers. I don't think there has been a thread specifically on Citi's retention offers, just threads where it is mentioned along with related info.
    This was my second time getting a retention offer, and they gave me the $85 credit without any requirements at all.
    I now consider my Citi AA MC to be a no fee card, and will keep it as long as this is so, as it is now my oldest credit card.

atlncegy, pcarol, 2soonold and 4 others like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got $85 statement credit after 5 purchases.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    pcarol, jwsky, TAHKUCT and 1 other person like this.
  6. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very timely. I'm calling today to "cancel" my Citi AA card because of the privacy snafu. They issued me another card, I activated it, but for some reason the card kept getting denied for several weeks. I stopped using it.

Apparently one of their internal groups still had a block, on the new card!! Because of THEIR security snafu with the old card.

I'm going to see what I can get today.

7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck and make sure you provide a data point for us to drool over!

8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm calling today! Citi annual fee is up in July!

Espan likes this.
  9. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not due to pay till September, but wonder if I should be proactive and try sooner...

Kalboz likes this.
  10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually the banks don't charge you an annual fee until the due date the fee shows on the statement. So, you typically have until the charge shows on the statement.

Most banks will waive the fee even after the 1st year if you convert to a non-fee credit card and this does not require a new credit report.

from what was posted it appears Citi Bank is offering to waive the fee the 2nd year and keep the same card. That is a nice option if true. One friend told me he got this offer from Citi 2 months ago...but he called in asking for retention department not just customer service.

Espan likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've of mixed minds on this in that I don't like to leave money on the table but I also took my promise to pay $85 a year as a serious business obligation when I signed up more than a decade ago, and with one exception have done what I promised to do -- pay it. That exception was five years ago or so, when I called to cancel and got an offer to stay.

So this year rolled around, and I agonized again, and finally called them, asked for the correct department to talk to when one wasn't sure he wanted to keep his card (I phrased it that way to avoid sounding too "professional"), got a nice lady, and was very frank. Told her I didn't want to overstay my welcome with calling them and demanding special treatment every year, and that I last did this about five years ago and wondered if she could offer me anything now. Long and short of it is she said they didn't want to lose me after more than a decade, plus with a good record, and she offered an account credit of $85 in one to two billing cycles, plus 750 bonus AA miles for each billing cycle in the next 12 that I have qualifying purchases of at least $750. Not identical, but pretty darn similar, to the offer at the top of this thread. I accepted, and guess I may call her again in five years, ha ha.

P.S. - Also asked her if I could reduce (or eliminate) my credit limit on my other AA Citi card, Citi American Express, and apply it to my Citi MasterCard limit, and she said no, they don't do that.

12. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also got this offer of 750 miles for a year for every month that I spend the same. Since my annual is $50, they credited it to the account instead of the $85. Thanks for the information, and still not bad for a 8 minute phone call. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

pcarol and miles and smiles like this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was 16 months for me.
    The call took place 18 July 2012.

pcarol likes this.
  14. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the 500 miles if I spend $500 in a month deal. One month I spent $499.03. No bonus for me. So, I sent them a message asking when my 12 months was up. Then I mentioned the $499.03 and typed "ouch". They answered my question and compted me the 500 miles. Thanks CITY Bank!

Kalboz, pcarol and miles and smiles like this.
  15. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called to cancel 2 cards for me and 1 for the Mrs. Got 3 different responses. AA Amex - I was shocked when they said I had no annual fee on this card ever. I just got it last year. Asked for that no annual fee ever to be sent to me in writing. They offered me 3000 miles after $500 in spending. Signature Visa I was offered annual fee waived and 750 miles additional each of the next 16 months I spent $750 or more. The other Signature Visa I had called in a few months before and gotten $85 after 5 purchases. This time they didn't offer anything. I kept the first 2 cards and canceled the last one. FWIW, last week I called to cancel one of the many family CSP cards. Wasn't offered anything. Still like the card but don't need to pay multiple annual fees within the family.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me last Sept/Oct, AA Amex and AA Visa Gold were both $85 credit after 5 purchases. For my gf's AA Visa Sig, it was the $85 credit plus 750 miles every month for x months. I forget what x was. She is still getting the 750 monthly though.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    citi aa personal card offer was $85 credit, so kept it. Citi Business card was 10,000 aa miles if I spent $5000 in 6 months. Said "no thanks, think I will cancel the card", so he said I will give you 1000 aa miles to do nothing today. I took the miles and will cancel next week. I don't need both cards for the benefits (got them last year for the 75K each sign up). Also, just got 2 of the citi hilton cards (no fee with 50k points after $1500 spend for each), so need to make those spends in next 6 months.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'll contribute my data point. Been a cardholder for 2 years. First year, they waived the $85 annual fee and offered 750 bonus points for $750 in spending for x months (forgot x).

This year, I haven't been spending as much on it. Was offered the following, over 3 calls:
    * $25 after $500 in eligible spending.
    -or-
    * Extra 2 miles per dollar for 6 months, up to 10K bonus miles
    -or-
    * 3000 miles after $500 in spending

No offers of waived annual fee. The operator was able to see the offer I got previous year and couldn't offer the same. Seems like they are only able what the computer tells them.

The other nugget of information is that they are only able to give one offer per call, which seemed to imply that if I called back within the 37-day cancellation window after the annual fee was billed, I might be able to get another one of the offers listed above.

In the end, I just took the middle option, though I would have preferred a waiver. We'll see what happens next year.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was interesting to me. When I called six weeks or so ago, and posted above, I was concerned about this. So I deliberately told the agent I had called several years ago -- I estimated five -- said I had gotten an offer then, and asked if I could get one again. She didn't say anything about the previous offer five years ago, started gushing and telling me what a good customer I was, blah blah blah, and offered the $85 credit plus 750 miles/$750/12 periods. I don't know if she didn't mention the previous offer because it had been several years, or because I had already brought it up, or what. If I were Citi management, I certainly would try to get the retention people to wean back on the year-to-year offers. From their standpoint, if not ours, it makes good business sense. . . .

20. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received $85 billing credit and the 750 mile bonus for $750 monthly spend over next 16 billing cycles. Can't complain.

Kalboz, miles and smiles and Andyandy like this.
  21. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the same deal last night--I took it.

Kalboz, Espan, pcarol and 1 other person like this.
  22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    16 billing cycles = 16 months? wow

Kalboz, Espan and miles and smiles like this.
  23. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I would either have to turn that down, or not be actively churning, because I'd probably need that $750 elsewhere - Especially when USAir MC offers 15k miles for $750 spend each month in 1 quarter, rather than 16 months and that's not even a hard retention bonus. Is it possible on both cards at the same time to get another 48,000 miles?

MargaretMi and Kalboz like this.
  24. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Folks, you might want to scrutinize your February 2013 Citi statements, etc., if you had accepted one of these 750 (or 1,000) bonus miles per month offers to keep your account open. Mysteriously, my 750 bonus miles suddenly stopped on the February Citi statement, only about halfway through the 12-month period I had been promised. And yes, I had the requisite amount of charges (in my case $752, in fact). So I called Citi, got a very pleasant but clueless agent who tried every reason she could think of to say this couldn't be a Citi error, and finally, when I shot down all of those, put me on hold and checked with a supervisor. . . who told her it was an error and put the additional 750 through manually. I also tried to convince her they might want to have somebody check to see if this was a broader problem beyond just me, but this somewhat flighty agent really wasn't following that idea. I'll believe my 750 additional miles when I see them, but at least I did get her to promise them. Might watch your own statements, y'all.

25. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    why not do both? remember that keeping Citi AA card open means you can get upto 10K miles rebate on award redemptions