Citi AA card: 3X on everyday purchases (up to 2500)

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got this offer in the email (still has the old logo :eek:). Guess my AA MC will come out of the sock drawer for a little while.

Earn 3 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on things you buy every day at grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants and drugstores — even commuter transportation expenses, up to 2,500 AAdvantage® bonus miles, through 03/31/13!*

This offer starts within 4 business days of when you enroll and will end on 03/31/13. AAdvantage® miles are only earned on eligible purchases. Earnings associated with this program will equal 2 AAdvantage® bonus miles per $1 spent on purchases and may overlap with other special offers in which you are currently enrolled. AAdvantage® miles earned with this offer are subject to a maximum of 2,500 AAdvantage® bonus miles. Eligible purchases exclude purchases made at discount stores, balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, items returned for credit, fees and interest charges. Grocery stores, including supermarkets are classified as merchants that provide a complete line of food merchandise for home consumption. This offer includes convenience stores which are classified as merchants who sell a limited variety of food items and warehouse clubs which are classified as merchants that sell a variety of merchandise in bulk, and may or may not have membership requirements. Gas stations are classified as merchants that primarily sell vehicle fuel for consumer use. Restaurants are classified as merchants that prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant's premises or packaged for carryout. Drugstores are classified as merchants that sell prescription and proprietary drugs and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines. Commuter transportation merchants are classified as merchants that provide mass passenger transportation including railways and buses, bridge and tunnel fees and temporary parking, but does not include the purchase of Amtrak tickets. All purchases must be posted during the promotion period. We do not determine how merchants are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant’s primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. This promotional offer is non-transferrable and applies to the account ending in the last 4 digits referenced in this offer.

marcwint55, jbcarioca and MX like this.
  2. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    which card was this for? AMEX/VISA/MC? or all the Citi AA cards?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have the MC.

I am kind of glad it's not more lucrative and capped. I have $5500 in spend for the next 90 days to meet for my Club Carlson and Amex Platinum cards that just arrived the other day.

boondr likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 VR's will do the trick. I wonder which cards also, and if it's 2,500 per card.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No VRs where I live (other than Walgreens who only accept cash). And no travel to VR-friendly territories planned at the moment.

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then 2 Visa/MC/Amex/Vanilla GCs, or high value retail store gift cards at your friendly grocer, if Walgreens won't take anything but cash. There are a number of ways to liquidate those GC's for cash. Some are more costly than others.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am occasionally glancing at the various threads in Milesbuzz. More costly both in terms of time and money. I am fairly sure I'll meet the requirements with actual required spend without jumping through a lot of hoops. Perhaps do some charitable donations earlier this year. Add some $$ to my Starbucks and Amazon accounts.

servo likes this.
  8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true. We're only talking $834 here to maximize this promo. Whether that's per card or per AAdvantage #, I'm not sure yet.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In the past when I had two or three cards are got offers for two or three cards. They were less lucrative, usually 1.25X or 1.5X, but I think they all counted independently.

10. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found a Walgreens that will take a CC for the VR. Do you know if a AA card will work for the VR? There has been some talk Citi viewing it as a cash advance.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Would they know? Let's say I buy a $1 bottle of water and a VR at Walgreens... are they able to see the line items on the receipt and treat the VR charge differently than the $1 water bottle?

12. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question. My receipt from Walgreens lists the VR and another item. ( used my new AM EX platinum card) Of course my CC bills do not list what I buy. I also wonder about using citi cards for amazon payments. Any experience with this? Maybe citi charging for cash advance is hokum.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's been a long time since I worked on that, but technically credit card companies can get, say, from hotels the folio details to pass on to corporate expense systems. Google for level 3 data, e.g.,

http://www.bluepay.com/blog/how-level-3-transactions-improve-b2b-credit-card-processing

But I am not sure that drug stores and grocery stores would provide that.

14. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way I read it, You will get 2 bonus miles plus the regular mile. So, $1250 spent correctly will maximize the promo.

My offer was specifically for the Mastercard. I know this because it stated the last four numbers on the card. My Citibank Amex was not mentioned by the last four numbers.

boondr likes this.
  15. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point. My offer appears to be for the Visa and not the AmEx. Also good catch on the math. That's what I get for being buried in data at work today.

jwsky likes this.
  16. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    **Data point** I received the offer for my AA Visa. Guess Mr. AAdvantage is going to need to make an appearance at his local CVS :)

17. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an email today for my Thank You Preferred MC with 5 Thank You points for $1 spent on gas, groceries, restaraunts, and a few other categories (do not remember the other categories).

18. jralexander14

jralexander14 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same offer in my email as well today.

sicemdawgs likes this.
  19. janejanejane

janejanejane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same email for my Citi Thank You card.

20. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Meh, I only got an offer for 2x points for electronics, clothing, toy and department stores. Outside of Best Buy, rarely use any of the others...

21. sc9457

sc9457 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the same email for my Citi AA Mastercard. Didn't get this email for my Citi AA Bronze MC, only Platinum.

22. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    How come I always get this type of bonus on my amex, how come I never get it on MC or Visa? I am not a big aex fan.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cancel the Amex? Perhaps then they'll target one of the others?

24. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually hold onto my Amex cards for Small Business Saturday. Especially the NAF ones.

25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just completed a similar offer, only it also included 10 times points at Amazon.com up to 2500 extra points in addition to the triple points on the other purchases.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.