Citi® Hilton HHonors Reserve and Visa Signature Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Jan 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Evening Everyone.

Do either of the Citi Hilton HHonors cards have periods when the promotional bonus points are bumped up, or is it always a standard offer?

Here are the current offers:
    http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-use-points/credit-cards/index.html

Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card
    • Earn 2 Weekend Night Certificates each good for 1 weekend night (standard room, double occupancy) after $2,500 in eligible purchases within the first 4 months of card membership***

Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card

• Earn 40,000 HHonors Bonus Points when you spend $1,000 on purchases within 4 months of opening your account — enough for a free night*
    Also, for the Reserve card, there is an anniversary bonus of a free night certificate if you spend $10K in a year. This seems a bit high when compared to the Marriott Credit Card, that offers a free night just for being a card member. Is this really a good deal?

Thank you.

uggboy likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What makes the Reserve card a good deal is the instant HHonors Gold level benefit. The highest level Marriott card will only get you instant silver, which isn't worth much.

Counsellor, vickers and WilliamQ like this.
  3. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, but note also that the AMEX Surpass card now offers the same "Gold status for as long as you hold the card" for a lower annual fee, and has somewhat higher points earnings rates (depends on category). Both are available as EMV versions too, so the remaining difference I see is the 2.7% FTF on the AMEX card, versus no FTF for the VISA. If you want to hold one of these cards for the long-term Gold status perk, the AMEX one gets my vote unless Citi decides to sweeten the pot. I hold both at the moment, until renewal time.

vickers and WilliamQ like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im new to the Hilton program. I guess Im really wondering if Gold Status is worth the $95 bucks a year annual fee? I will have the opportunity to stay at Hilton properties, but not enough to earn Gold. Silver, yes. I usually stay at Marriott as my team stays there when doing tradeshows. Looking for a #2 reward program to use.

Also, do the HIlton Credit cards ever bump up the bonus points, or are they the same all year?

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    EMV?

6. othermike27

Status Points:
    EMV = Europay/Mastercard/VISA standard for chip-on-card technology (either Chip+PIN or Chip+Signature) that is coming to a point of sale terminal near you in the next couple years.

7. othermike27

Status Points:
    Check out the hotel loyalty program comparisons at: Hack My Trip - Sharing the tricks and tools of better travel
    for a good overview.

vickers likes this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the better programs are Hyatt and SPG, but as always your mileage may vary. Doesn't mean they have the hotels in your area with your corporate discounts, etc etc. Hilton certainly has a lot of hotels, but after the devaluation I'm kind of avoiding them. The nice thing of course is there are LOTS of ways to earn Hilton points--get either or both of the HH cards from Amex (the Surpass or the NAF), either or both of the two cards from Citi (Reserve and not), and of course transfers from Virgin Atlantic (currently offering 50K/65K = 100K/130K HH) or Hawaiian (now available again) if you are willing to trade those points. Just remember how little HH points are worth. Maybe .4 or .5 cents each. Compared to maybe 1.5 to 2 cents each for Hyatt or SPG points. Always do the math when doing comparisons.

For the long term? I'd hold the NAF. Its got No Annual Fee. I'd churn the Surpass. But that's me. And I haven't done it yet. The obvious problem with this is you need to be without the Surpass, and its better earnings rates, while out of cycle during a churn. Whether that's an issue for you or not (do you have other cards that earn similar HH rates at HH hotels or supermarkets? does your spouse have a Surpass you can get an Authorized User card for? etc)?

vickers likes this.
  9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oversimplification:
    1. Estimate the number of Hilton stays you anticipate in a year.
    2. Add 1 for each time another person will be staying with you.
    3. Multiply by the amount of money that a single breakfast is worth to you.
    4. Subtract $95.
    If the result is positive, the annual fee is worth it based on the breakfast benefit, alone.
    (To say nothing of the free weekend night cert at $10k spend, possible upgrades, etc.)

vickers likes this.