Cisco / Facebook offering WiFi in exchange for social check-ins

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Oct 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    An interesting project from Cisco, already being tested in Toronto and a few restaurants in the US.

You basically get to the venue and connect to their WiFi, accept the EULA and "check in with Facebook" in exchange for WiFi access.

They get all kinds of details about you (whatever you provide Facebook, of course) and you get internet access. Could come in handy for some locations -- especially for people roaming around with limited data / minutes -- if you can live with (or work around) the privacy concerns.

http://blogs.cisco.com/news/facebook-and-cisco-connect-businesses-and-consumers/

gleff likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't read the story, but it's not a new idea. I know several places that have login with FB (some also twitter) in exchange for Wifi. In fact, was at one just today for lunch. 2nd FB identity comes in handy :)

3. ia.traveler

ia.traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another good reason to have a second Facebook account. One with no friends and minimal information.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  4. I think that is the right work around.But one of these days FB will then scrape the site and find out duplicates using the same computer.

5. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    But until then, John Smith I will be.