Churn Ideas for a rookie

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sharris503, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a little tentative to try this travel hacking thing out but I thought I would give it a shot. I just finished my first churn. I got two BofA Alaska cards one with a 25k bonus and the other with a 40k bonus. That is 65k miles and two $99 companion tickets for $150 in registration costs. I checked my FICO score after the churn and my credit is still great, so naturally, I'm hooked and looking for my next churn.

I'm thinking about doing the two Hawaiian Cards, but what I am really interested in is the AAdvantage 75K cards. Are people still able to take advantage of that promo? I would love to score 150k and maybe even 225k AA miles. Thank you for your ideas.

hulagrrl210 and savydog like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, people are still getting two Citi personal AA cards at a time for 150K. Certainly the biggest bonanza that can be had at once.

3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on your first churn!

I typically go for the cards with the biggest bonuses first, and then work my way to the smaller bonuses. So, getting 225K AA miles for just 3 (or 2 if you're lucky) credit inquiries is pretty good in my book!

I've had a lot of blog readers write in to say that they've been successful with getting both AA cards for 150K miles. However, a few have also written in that instead of getting a $1,500 spend requirement on the Visa card, they've got a $4,000 spend.

But it is still worth the 150K AA miles!

And if you're looking for an offer from Chase, you may want to consider the Southwest card which offers ~$850 in travel for a $99 fee or the Chase Sapphire card which offers a 50,000 point bonus which can be transfered to hotel or airline partners.

Oh, and there are rumors that the SPG AMEX will come out with a better offer soon.

We're so lucky to have so many choices!

worldtraveller2 likes this.
  4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Million Mile,

How do I know what the spend requirement is? I checked out the links on your blog but the online application doesn't seem to indicate what is required to earn the bonus or even what the bonus is.

savydog likes this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, thousands upon thousands of people have gotten these 75K bonuses. If you want a detailed discussion, I suggest you check out the thread on Flyertalk. It does seem that many people are being required to spend $4000 on at least one of the AA cards.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP

7. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right that there is no mention of the spend requirement or bonus on the application, but folks are reporting $1,500 on the Visa (some reports of $4,000 as well) and $4,000 on the AMEX.

8. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hubby applied for these at the same time in February & were approved for both!

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just use the correct link from Million Mile Secrets blog and/or Flyertalk and the correct spend requirement should be applied..........unless they just very recently up-ed the $1500 Visa to $4000. I received mine just a few days ago and got verbal confirmation of the $1500 spend upon activation. I guess we'll see what happens after I hit the $1500 spend requirement. :)