Churn Coming Up - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Apr 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am most certainly getting a Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Beyond that, I have a few options, either getting just one other card, maybe two.

Chase United Explorer Card - months ago i got the 50k bonus accessible after logging into united account. And saw the flyertalk thread on getting this offer. This is also another Chase card and getting two chase cards in one churn can be hard, from what i've heard.

Delta Amex Card - got a targeted offer for 50k miles this week in the mail. However, I've heard Delta is thinking of switching to a revenue based system... so i might have to use my miles quickly, which... may not be possible.

Barclays Arrival Card - http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/04/04/barclays-arrival-card/ - Sounds intriguing.

Premier Rewards Gold Card from Amex (fee for first year waived): 25k rewards, being able to transfer to any airline, amex is just a good card, etc. One question - I had an Citi AA card with Amex ("select card") - that's not really a real amex card... but just wanted to make sure it didn't disqualify me from getting this offer: https://www304.americanexpress.com/...=SJH&CRTV=PRGAPP&VEID=608535367&AFFID=k547978

Other cards.

Any suggestions?

mo26 likes this.
  2. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    clarification - I am def. getting a CSP. Just not sure if I want 1 extra card beyond that or 2. And really not sure what to get.

mo26 likes this.
  3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any particular goals in mind?

-MO

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Revenue based system is for Elite Status; not for redemption unless I am mistaken.

mo26 likes this.
  5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess my goals are probably more generally "rewards based" than "travel based." I do want to take a trip to europe this year or next, and regional trips are fairly prevalent in terms of "vacations."

mo26 likes this.
  6. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but what do you mean by rewards based? Are you saying you're looking for card benefits beyond any particular boost in points? ie elite status or bonus points on particular purchase categories?

Thanks,

MO

edekba likes this.
  7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I meant more focused on cash back/points/general "rewards" compared to cards that just give you miles. However, I say that with the major caveat that either way - general "rewards" or miles, I'll end up using either one.

mo26 likes this.
  8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I recall hearing, not a good idea to go for two Chase cards at once unless one is a business card.

Delta is switching to revenue based but that is if you are interested in Medallion status. If you just want to collect miles to burn then it isn't an issue.

mo26 likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    YMWV ... i got 2 on the same day...

mo26 and TravelBear like this.
  10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both personal? Did you have to call recon?

mo26 likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes/no

TravelBear and mo26 like this.
  12. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i'm a yes/yes on that. Both approved.

-MO

edekba and TravelBear like this.
  13. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:

Depending on what kind of hurry you're in, my 2 cents would be to wait for some better offers, especially if you're looking into AMEX (i'm not a DL guy, so no helpful advice there).

You're already committed to the CSP, I like that, it's a great card with amazing customer service. There's a reason it's pushed so heavily in the blogosphere, it's solid.

If you had the interest or ability, I would probably pickup one of the Ink cards on the same day. Assuming you could handle the minimum spend (or had a business), you'd be setup with 100k transferrable points as a nice base going forward.

To be honest, I only started into the Amex MR on my last AOR. I went for the MB Plat for 50k, and the Biz Gold for 75k. That 75k offer has surfaced a few times in the last 4 months or so, I don't think it's gone forever.

I like the flexibility in both Chase and MR programs. I don't know anything about Citi's TY program, so perhaps someone else can get you some better info. I've got a Freedom card for the Mrs. and a Discover More (or is it an IT now) for myself. Frankly I like the Discover card. I routinely get 10% off at some of their shops. When I got the card a year ago, I was able to design my own promotion, so I received $250 cashback to spend. I used that $20 at a time getting $40 worth of rental credits at National. I was in a unique situation at the time and it was a great deal for me. I'm keeping the card now because it's no fee, and at Christmas time you can save some nice extra $.

I'm not sure if any of this has helped, but its been my experience with rewards cards vs. specific branded cards.

- MO

14. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full disclosure:

Even though I told you to wait, I put off the AA 2x trick until it was too late....So maybe I should have followed my own advice :)

- MO