Churn/app planning thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by autolycus, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I hate to post yet another thread like this, but I do want all of the sage advice I can get since I hit a minor snag in my CC app planning... Before I get to my own details, I'm going to throw a thought out there for the forum generally: Perhaps an "official"/stickied thread where everyone who wants input on an app-o-rama/churn can post with a consistent set of info about their specific situation and then all the requests for help and responses can be consolidated? It'd avoid some of the potential for clutter and it would also provide a single place for people to go first to see what advice is being given to others. And of course people would welcomed to post their own apps and results if they're interested in letting others know what is working and isn't. I can probably come up with the questions/info that would be helpful to those trying to assist and get the thread started if there's enough support for the idea and the moderators are ok with it and agree that this particular forum is the best location.

So now my own details:
    I have currently (month/year of application/approval):
    1) Amex Platinum (11/2011),
    2) Amex HHonors free version (11/2011),
    3) Chase Continental OnePass Plus (11/2011)
    4) Citi Dividend Mastercard + Amex (2002?)

Have had in the past (month/year of cancelation):
    1) Amex Skymiles blue version (3/2012)

DL preference (ATL based). Hilton preference. But I want to diversify airline miles especially. Award goals aren't too specific for now. Europe, Australia/NZ, Tropical Islands, eventually Africa and South America, but they're further down the list. I have currently have 137k Skymiles, 60k MR points, 177k HHnonors, and ~53k United miles. Nothing else of significance. So I'm clearly closest to DL redemptions, and am working toward United next because of *A (Lufthansa flies ATL-FRA).

I would like to do 3-4 cards, but am leaning toward just 3. Can do $1500-2k/month spend fairly easily. Could stretch a little over that, but not much more. I'm thinking 1 Chase (would put me at 2 Chase), 1 Amex (to go to 3, is that pushing it?), and 1-2 others from Citi, Barclays or BofA.

Definitely want to apply for:
    1) Chase Sapphire Preferred, 50k UR with $3k spend in 3 months, 1st yr waived

Considering:
    1) Amex Delta Gold, 35k SkyMiles with $750 in 3 months, 1st yr waived
    2) Citi AAx2... this is the minor bump... It's always talked about as 50k each for Visa and Amex versions, but I can't actually find any good links for 50k. Citi shows 30k right now. If it's 30k, I'll pass.
    3) Barclay US Airways
    4) Citi HHonors? or something else from Citi if the AA is not at least 50k?
    5) Any great BofA or other offers worth considering?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    See here for Citi links.

autolycus likes this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha! Thanks for that. I had checked the master best offer thread on TOBB and even looked in the AA card offer thread, but somehow had only seen the ones that expired in December or lower 30k and 40k offers. Makes my decision a little tougher. I'm not sure I want to stretch to 4 cards this time, but I do appreciate pointing me in the right direction for it.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can you should get chase sapphire as soon as possible. They just lowered the bonus on their website to 40000 but links to 50000 are still working. Check out million mile secrets or the point guy for a 50000 link

autolycus likes this.
  5. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would personally apply for the Chase Sapphire 50k, Citi Thank you both visa and mc, and US air. 3 months later I would apply for the Chase United 50k, Amex Delta Gold, and both BOA Hawaii and Hawaii Bank visa cards (transfer miles 1:2 to your Hilton). Last year Amex Delta had 45k sign on bonus they may have it again or better. I would wait for that again, also keep in mind Chase will not automatically approve 2 applications at the same time. You can call the reconsideration line to get approved but since your looking at the long run, I would just wait and apply after 3 months.

6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, Sapphire app is in, so I'm doing everything today...

What's the best offer on the Thank You cards? They are a pseudo-cash back type of system like the Capital One cards, right? Points are redeemable for a fixed amount when I spend on travel?

I had forgotten about the higher Amex bonuses last year, and was thinking 35k was about as high as the Gold version got. I will wait on that one then. Thanks for that reminder.

Unfortunately because of how late I was on the Chase Continental OnePass card, I won't likely get a United bonus anytime soon. But I will look at the best other Chase offer available for the next go around. Hyatt, BA, etc. are all decent cards. Perhaps even a Freedom to go with the Sapphire if there's a 30k or more bonus on it.

perryplatypus likes this.
  7. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Have you thought about going after the Chase Bold Ink? It is 50000 points too. Plus 5x on office supplies and 2x on gas and hotel. In the gift card churning thread they have been getting a whopping 9x per dollar spent on using the ultimate rewards mall and then buying gift cards from staples. That just a fantastic return on money spent.

wrxmom likes this.
  8. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    I like the Hyatt card too. I'm going to Paris for the 1st time next year and would love to stay at the Paris Vendome especially if it for free :) You also can't bet the anniversary free night that covers the annual fee.

9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not really comfortable with getting business cards for now. There are enough personal cards to keep me busy for a while yet, so I am sticking to those.

perryplatypus likes this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one has really mentioned the Citibank Hilton card here. Since it appears that it's churnable, I'm going to start in on that, maybe along with an AA biz card every 90 days.

11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you cancel the AA biz card between applications? Or just have a stack of them active in a drawer someplace?

schnitzel likes this.
  12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I haven't done it yet, but I've canceled my Hilton and biz AA cards in preparation. I'm just not at 90 days yet since the Hilton app. But my plan is to always cancel, wait out the 90 days, and then go again, along with any other cards I plan to include - probably a Chase Hyatt or PC, and maybe an Amex Delta for a change.

bearcat74 likes this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I was thinking about the Citi Hilton instead of the Citi AAx2. Since I'm likely to get a new macbook later this year, I was figuring the relatively high spend doing both AA cards at the same time might be best saved for then. Plus the best current offer actually looks like it's 40k/50k but with 50k requiring $12k in spend over 12 months. That's not nearly as good as the 75k that was offered last year, so I think I'll wait.

I have now done Sapphire Preferred and US Airways apps. Chase gave me the gold ole "further review" and Barclays approved instantly. This is only my 2nd Chase card ever, so I was a bit surprised by the further review, but when I called reconsideration, it hadn't been processed yet. I think I may have messed up a bit though. I put household income, and I'm now racking my brain trying to remember whether I'd put just mine on the application for the OnePass Plus card back in November. If I had included just my income before, their system surely would have caught that I was claiming a rather substantial increase in income, even if it was just a matter of individual vs. household. I've decided moving forward to always give household unless they clearly want just mine.

So now it's either a Citi (x2?) or an Amex card left to go this afternoon/evening. I think I might lean toward the Hilton to further pad those points in the hopes of having enough points for a significant redemption in Hawai'i or similar locale. I'm going to look at the Thank You card a bit more as well since I don't know anything about that point system. It looks like a fairly generic reward system with nothing particularly exciting about it. But, if it's fairly easy to redeem points for travel at a reasonable rate . . .