Churn #4 - What to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by 98mike, Nov 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gone a couple months without having to make a spend. It's an uneasy feeling.
    I'm planning Churn #4, but was hoping for some advice based on my current portfolio. I'm wide open to opinions. The score is above 760 at the moment.
    Here's my inventory as of today:

Churn #1 - December 2011
    AA Visa Signature (I didnt know about the 2 browser trick) - Just CLOSED this card / fee due
    SW Visa Premier - keeping open, I like SW.

Churn #2 - March 2012
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Chase Ink Bold
    Citibank Hilton Honors
    Amex Hilton (no fee)
    Barclay US Air

Churn #3 - June 2012
    Chase Brit Air (online booking version no spend version, 50k now, 50k for anniversary)
    BA Virgin Atlantic
    AMEX SPG

It's been SPG, Ink, Sapphire for the regular use since. US Air for some bonus goals they offered. As of today I'm I'm looking for a smaller 3 card churn, but really want some advice. Chase hasn't asked for any credit line adjustments across all cards. But maybe 3 personals and 1 biz is a lot there. Ink Plus for 50k sounds nice though. Maybe SW Business version? I have no AMEX MRs - time to start? That 50k/$5k Gold biz goes away later today.

Anyone see any obvious holes here? My largest usage thus far has been domestic travel for family vacations with us renting vacation homes, no hotel points there. Hotel points are for little weekend trips to DC, NOLA, etc. UR points for the big trip to South America in 2014 - banking those puppies, but maybe that's not smart either if they devalue or lose a partner. MUCH appreciative of any advice to be given. I'm due one, but want to take a pause first and gather any advice to be given. Thanks!

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    First 2 choices IMO would be the 2 Hawaiian Airlines cards (Bank of America & Bank of Hawaii). Same lender, so expect the recon line for 1 or both. 35k miles each = 70k miles -> 140k Hilton points with 1:2 xfer ratio.

Then try for the 55k UA card that might still be working. I just got it a week ago, but it's another Chase card for you. The Citi Amex AA card might still have the 50k miles, but you have to dig into FT to find a link that "might" work. The offer isn't listed on the landing page, so it's a gamble.

98mike likes this.
  3. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think I could do another Citi AA personal until 18 months since my last app. I'd do a Citi AA biz but I hear they are tough on sole proprietors.

4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% clear on that either. My understanding was that you couldn't do the same AA personal card within that 18 month time frame, and yes, the Citi Biz card might be a bit tougher. You might consider the SWA Biz card as well, since that's Chase and they're much more lenient toward sole proprietors.

5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had more trouble than usual with the CitiBusiness AA card. I just followed the suggestions and wrote to Citi to get them to reconsider. Unlike Chase it doesn't sound like its usual worth it to talk to people on the phone, though of course I tried that first. Anyway, after a week or two I was approved. Here's the link with the info I used:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/08/15/credit-card-reconsideration/

Yes I know some people aren't fond of MMS but hey, sometimes those "posts for dummies" are useful to those of us that are dummies.

The Citi reconsideration address is:

CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117.

Anyway, point being that you CAN get a Citi Business card for a sole proprietarship. Just be prepared to fight for it if necessary.

Mikus33 and 98mike like this.
  6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

You're so far accumulating:
    AA miles, BA miles, US Air miles, Southwest Miles, Virgin Atlantic Miles
    Chase UR Points
    Hilton HHonors Points, SPG Points

I'll assume the VA Miles might just be Hilton points in disguise, and hey there's only the one card anyway...

You haven't done the Chase Ink Plus yet. So you could do that. Another 50K UR points, as valuable as anything. You could do the Chase Freedom card but I don't think you'll get any bonus points for that, though it has some nice bonus characteristics for the spend you do. A nice complement to the Ink. You might consider it.

You could get more Hilton Points easily. Amex Surpass gets you 40,000 but you might want to wait for a better offer. Up to you. You could get a bunch with the BofA/BofH Hawaiian Airlines pair that have minimal spending requirements and transfer 1:2 to Hilton Points. Especially nice cuz these aren't from Chase or Citi.

For SPG you can easily hit the Amex Business SPG card as well. Very flexible points. Worth it. Course today before 5pm you could apply for the Amex Business Gold Rewards card but that would be MR points and you maybe don't want to mess with those yet. The SPG Business card is an easy choice for Amex.

If you want more AA miles you can of course go for the Citibank Amex before taking trying the CitiBusiness Card. Of course you need to be wary of offers that are only for "new accounts" and the best offers may be. Check carefully. Both of the 50k/45k offers I can find for an AA Amex are for "new accounts" which probably excludes you since you already had the AA VISA. But you closed that, so maybe its not an issue.

For Southwest of course there are four different cards. All from Chase and you don't want to do more than one personal Chase application or Business application. So if you haven't used those up of course the Southwest Plus and Premier come in 50K variants in both forms.

98mike likes this.
  7. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the take on this g.
    -Correct on the VA card, all meant for Hilton. As Hawaiian cards & Surpass would all go to the same bucket as well. End goal there was 300k points for a week at a 6-star resort. Perhaps, who knows maybe I'll burn them on weekend trips to DC, NY... to be seen.

-My home airport is BWI, Southwest & AA flew to most domestic places we'd go for a week here and there. I like their points for that. I closed my Citi AA Platinum because I wanted to avoid the fee and restart the clock. My question is can I apply for an possibly get the Southwest Plus when I currently have the Premier open? If thats the case I'd go for the Premier now, wait to get my points in Jan and the go for the biz card in March and nab that Companion Pass.. in theory.

I'm thinking SPG Biz (25k for $5k), SW Plus (50k for $2k in 3), BA/BH Hawaiian (35k for $1k in 4 mos).. thats doable.

OR SPG Biz, Ink Plus & the Hawaiian Twins.

There is room to do something at Citi, but I dont know what that would be other than trying for the AA again, but like you said... most offers for NEW only. The Citi Advantage Biz card is too steep a fee imo.

Thanks for the help! I'll always take it. I'm going to keep mulling. So many choices!

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its hard to pull the trigger, things come and go all the time. I'm still pretty new, so looking to learn a lot.

I assume you're aware of the 110,000 points to Southwest Companion Pass thing? Try to hit it early one year and you've got the pass for basically the rest of that year and the next? With two of the Southwest cards plus the spend to hit their bonuses you'll be only 6,000 miles short, which you can hit with 6K of spend, transfer of other points, etc. Might be worth thinking about given where we are in the year, and given the great 50K offers available now. I'm only going for one of these right now (hey, I've got limits) so the other card might be at 40K by the time I apply for it, meaning I'll have some 16K of spend to do, etc. Mommy Points covered this pretty well. You'd want to make sure NOT to earn any of the 110,000 points before Jan 1 or they won't count as part of the 110K.

Assume you know about the VA miles bonus for Hilton stays through the end of the year? 1,000 for the first, 2,000 for the 2nd, 3,000 for the 3rd, ... 5,000 for the fifth? Planning to do a bit of spend on the VA card to get it to 20K for a transfer to 40K Hilton Points. Assuming you can do 5 Hiltons before the end of the year...

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    98, I'm not at all certain that you can normally get both Plus and Premier at the same time. So I think if you wanted to do two SW cards you'd have to do one personal and one biz.

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, also assume you're aware of the whole AirTran thing wrt Southwest, that you can use credits or something on AT to buy tickets on SW and vice-versa? So if you find yourself without an SW card to apply for at some point you can do AT for a bit instead. I don't think there's any transferring per se, but...

98mike likes this.
  11. AJTrenkle

AJTrenkle Active Member

Status Points:
    I like the Chase Freedom card, especially if you can do that Chase Exclusives dealio (I think you need a checking account with them also) where you get 10 points per purchase and a 10% bonus per purchase. It can be very lucrative for small little purchases. Also, their 5x monthly rotating specials is nice. I think currently they have it on airfare and Best Buy and some other stuff as well. If you have the Sapphire Preferred you can transfer your points from your Freedom card over to the SP.

It also seems like you should do some MR points with Amex since it is a powerful program. Their cards do have high fees though. Maybe the Premier Rewards Gold? It also has spending bonuses on groceries, gas,and travel.

98mike likes this.
  12. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sort of strange but whenever to see it I could open a Chase checking acct they told me My state was not registered by them for banking. I'm like wth??? All the web banking out there and Chase can't open a checking for me? Maybe I misunderstood but Im fairly certain that was the case.

I'm curious about MRs. I do have a substantial Brit Air account, I could feed that monster. Brit Air to South America is the goal there. BA doesn't fly out of my home airports so its not ideal for domestic short-hauls unless I can ever find a spot on AA metal. Which I never can!

13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought the whole Exclusives thing had stopped recently, or at least been heavily modified like no more 10 points per purchase and 10% bonus posts at the end of the year or something. If you weren't grandfathered in I think its different now.

14. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the Ink Bold and am looking at the SPG Biz and Hawaiian twins in the near future. That seems like a good choice to me. I have a lot of the same cards you do.