Chronicling Mistake Fares

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Aug 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought it might be interesting to have a running list of mistake fares since 2011...I'd be happy to add or link if this is something worth continuing.

RGN Part I, II, III
    HKG 4 Miles on UA
    JNB-GVA/ZRH on TK J for $513 OW
    SEZ-DUB on EY J
    Palau on KE

rharrigill likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, so young and innocent. :D

Lots of the best mistakes were rather earlier than 2011. From the $0 fares to KEF (~$60 in taxes to make it happen) to the UA SFOAKL C fare for ~$1400, there was a lot of fun out there in earlier days.

There was a ~$700 fare to MRU on SAA in 2011; I flew it in February that year. That was more of a self-dumping fare thanks to the OTA than a mistake but it was a solid deal. Also in 2011 was the Brindisi deal for $260/person. And let us not forget the SEA-EWR W fares with no routing rules applied, allowing transit via HNL, ANC and GRU on a one-way flight between the two.

In 2012 there was the BRU fares on AC for ~$300 and at one point UA had an E fare ORD-GVA for ~$650 which could be upgraded with GPUs. I had a great weekend in Switzerland on that deal. Also in 2012 was the somewhat infamous "short" awards on UA where a <700 mile award was priced at 10,000 points, but only the O/D city pair counted for that calculation. I went to Rio for the day on one of those.

IDGflygirl, KLA and rharrigill like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh for the early days before ATPCO put systems in place that help prevent airlines from loading mistake fares (though some carriers don't really engage with the training still.... fortunately :) ).

My personal favorites from the older times...?

LAX-AKL UA business class ~ $1100 wasn't it? upgradable to first
    AZ YYZ-LCA $33+tax business class with allowable stopiovers in Italy
    BA WT+ $20++ US-Europe
    MX $55+tax US-PVR in business
    Travelocity currency conversion mistake ex-PPT, pricing all flights originating there at 10% of the correct cost. (Some folks threw away PPT-LAX and started from LAX)
    LAX-TPE and LAX-KUL $0+taxes/fees (MH had a companion fare but both passengers could book as the $0 companion)

And hotel deals of days gone by...

$51 Presidential Suite at the Conrad Bangkok
    $33 Preisdential Ocean Villa at the Le Meridien Khao Lak
    $3 executive rooms at the Tokyo Hilton
    $120 Overwater bungalow with meals at the Hilton Moorea
    Intercontinental Bali Imperial Villa on points (same points as a base room)

Of course there were many many more, many more that I took advantage of even :)

crimson, IDGflygirl, KLA and 2 others like this.
  4. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the LY ORD/NYC-TLV in August 2012 for ~$300-400. I had a nice long weekend in Israel last November :)

5. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, if gleff is going down that road...$51 LAX-NAN will always hold a special place in my heart. :D

6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    New enough to have only gotten in on the 4 mile HKG fare. It was a fun few days of anticipation before the cancellations came :)

Up&Away likes this.
  7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and let us not forget the airfare of $1.88 plus taxes and fees for domestic travel by US Airways if you routed through Watertown, New York or two other obscure airports.

Two of those round-trip airfares cost me less than $75.00 in total — and because of a simultaneous promotion, I wound up earning Silver elite status in the Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program during those flights, which gave me an unexpected free upgrade on an overnight transcontinental flight before I completed all of the flights in my itinerary.

In addition to all of that, I earned approximately 16,000 Dividend Miles on those two round-trip itineraries — all for fewer than $75.00...