Chronicling Mistake Fares

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Aug 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Thought it might be interesting to have a running list of mistake fares since 2011...I'd be happy to add or link if this is something worth continuing.

RGN Part I, II, III
    HKG 4 Miles on UA
    JNB-GVA/ZRH on TK J for $513 OW
    SEZ-DUB on EY J
    Palau on KE
    rharrigill likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Oh, so young and innocent. :D

Lots of the best mistakes were rather earlier than 2011. From the $0 fares to KEF (~$60 in taxes to make it happen) to the UA SFOAKL C fare for ~$1400, there was a lot of fun out there in earlier days.

There was a ~$700 fare to MRU on SAA in 2011; I flew it in February that year. That was more of a self-dumping fare thanks to the OTA than a mistake but it was a solid deal. Also in 2011 was the Brindisi deal for $260/person. And let us not forget the SEA-EWR W fares with no routing rules applied, allowing transit via HNL, ANC and GRU on a one-way flight between the two.

In 2012 there was the BRU fares on AC for ~$300 and at one point UA had an E fare ORD-GVA for ~$650 which could be upgraded with GPUs. I had a great weekend in Switzerland on that deal. Also in 2012 was the somewhat infamous "short" awards on UA where a <700 mile award was priced at 10,000 points, but only the O/D city pair counted for that calculation. I went to Rio for the day on one of those.
    IDGflygirl, KLA and rharrigill like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Oh for the early days before ATPCO put systems in place that help prevent airlines from loading mistake fares (though some carriers don't really engage with the training still.... fortunately :) ).

My personal favorites from the older times...?

LAX-AKL UA business class ~ $1100 wasn't it? upgradable to first
    AZ YYZ-LCA $33+tax business class with allowable stopiovers in Italy
    BA WT+ $20++ US-Europe
    MX $55+tax US-PVR in business
    Travelocity currency conversion mistake ex-PPT, pricing all flights originating there at 10% of the correct cost. (Some folks threw away PPT-LAX and started from LAX)
    LAX-TPE and LAX-KUL $0+taxes/fees (MH had a companion fare but both passengers could book as the $0 companion)

And hotel deals of days gone by...

$51 Presidential Suite at the Conrad Bangkok
    $33 Preisdential Ocean Villa at the Le Meridien Khao Lak
    $3 executive rooms at the Tokyo Hilton
    $120 Overwater bungalow with meals at the Hilton Moorea
    Intercontinental Bali Imperial Villa on points (same points as a base room)

Of course there were many many more, many more that I took advantage of even :)
    crimson, IDGflygirl, KLA and 2 others like this.
  4. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Don't forget the LY ORD/NYC-TLV in August 2012 for ~$300-400. I had a nice long weekend in Israel last November :)
  5. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Well, if gleff is going down that road...$51 LAX-NAN will always hold a special place in my heart. :D
  6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

New enough to have only gotten in on the 4 mile HKG fare. It was a fun few days of anticipation before the cancellations came :)
    Up&Away likes this.
  7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

...and let us not forget the airfare of $1.88 plus taxes and fees for domestic travel by US Airways if you routed through Watertown, New York or two other obscure airports.

Two of those round-trip airfares cost me less than $75.00 in total — and because of a simultaneous promotion, I wound up earning Silver elite status in the Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program during those flights, which gave me an unexpected free upgrade on an overnight transcontinental flight before I completed all of the flights in my itinerary.

In addition to all of that, I earned approximately 16,000 Dividend Miles on those two round-trip itineraries — all for fewer than $75.00...