chromecast?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Jul 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw an announcement for a dongle that should work with android like apple tv. Not clear if it will only work with chrome browser or...... No available on amazon as of yesterday. Has anyone tried this?

2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    not sure how available it is yet, it plugs in to the HDMI plug of the TV, and from what the press says can be controlled, streamed (WiFi) from any number of Android phones, tablets or laptops. Not sure if the browser or other apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc) will be able to control the stream...

3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually, just found this on a HuffPost article today:

Google's Chromecast is a two-inch stick that plugs into the HDMI port of HDTVs. It connects to your home's Wi-Fi network and streams video and music from your computer, smartphone or tablet to your TV. It works with Macs, PCs, the Chromebook Pixel and Android and iOS devices. You browse media and control the volume and playback with your device, so it doesn't come with a remote.

and there's much more info in the article comparing it to Roku and Apple TV

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...apple-tv_n_3654453.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

4. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Not bad for $35 if you're in the market for something like that. It's available in Google's Play store.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was on the Play Store as soon as the announcement was made. My friend purchased one and it came with 3 free months of Netflix -- which has been dropped since then because there was too much volume.

It's not a bad device, but it depends on what you plan to do with it. You can basically stream YouTube video and contents from Chrome and Netflix into your TV via HDMI, and you control it with your phone. It's basically a stripped down version of Google TV.

The one thing I don't like is that it won't do local content. If you have videos or photos on your phone you can't send them over to the dongle. You have to upload them first (to say Google+) then play them in the browser and send the tab over to the Chromecast device. This will probably be hacked up later since there's an API, but for now it's not supported.

Not sure how this will play out in light of the battle going on over "input 1" that Microsoft has with their new XBOX. You don't have the TV overlay or access to your DVR that you do with Google TV or XBOX One, so this is basically a replacement of your Roku box or maybe Apple TV, if that. Depending on what kind of hardware you already have -- or what you want to do -- this could be a good choice or a mediocre one.

Tenmoc, Espan and Mark like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I now have found it for sale on amazon and google, but interesting (and depressing) to me is that it DID NOT COME UP on an amazon search when it was available for sale with the 3 months of netflix and yesterday there was a notice that that offer was no longer valid (same on google) but both are backordered. Also allegedly available at bestbuy - but when try to purchase comes up unavailable. I've been able to read a few reviews so have a better idea, wish I could have found it when the netflix offer was attached.

Espan likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

This went on sale Wednesday morning during the "breakfast" event with Sundar and the Netflix offer was dead by Thursday morning. The device went out of stock shortly thereafter.

As with all good deals, you have to keep your ear to the ground and jump in early before it's gone :)

I didn't pick up one since I have no use for it (already have a Google TV) but like I said my friend scooped one on an impulse buy. He paid $42 with tax, shipped, and with the Netflix credit it was basically well under $20, so it was definitely a bargain.

Espan likes this.
  8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was an AWESOME deal if you are a Netflix subscriber. Too bad they ran out of codes.

Also, sort of let down they made it look as if it was HDMI powered somehow. The extra power cable makes the sleek look almost pointless IMO.

estnet likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes one of the major question I had after reading the reviews was if my tv would power it from the hdmi or I would need external power (my guess is it depends on the tv)

Espan likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ?breakfast event? Anyway I looked as soon as I saw it on google news, but apparently too late:(

viguera and Espan like this.
  11. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    This device could be interesting in terms of travel and in-room entertainment options. As long as there's fast Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and a modern flat screen w/ HDMI slot, it seems you could pack this and your laptop, tablet or phone and have access to all your cloud, device storage and/or subscribed services....

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Yeah it was sort-of suspected but officially announced during the event the other day, along with the new Nexus 7 and Android 4.3.

Most of the video is worth watching, but if you're interested in the Chromecast portion only scroll to around 40 minutes in.

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    What isn't clear to me is if you also need a power supply - which is often a problem in overseas hotels (not enough outlets)

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

You can power it through USB (kind of looping it back to the TV, which should have a free USB port) or to an included USB-AC plug.

Chromecast-Inside-Box.jpeg

IMG_20130726_130831.jpg

15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks - might work for hotels, but my tv doesn't have a usb port (too old), nor a power supply plug and the way it's mounted on the wall doesn't make for easy plugin -which is why I haven't used an apple tv with this particular tv.

16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it does. Either an outlet or a usb port in the tv or computer to power it.

Yes, it actually can. From a computer, you can open the item in a browser tab and cast that, or just today:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/3...ng-of-on-phone-video-and-pictures-to-your-tv/

Developers are not yet allowed to release apps, but Koush has already created one to cast local content.

What is very cool about this device is it will get a ton of development support. It can replace a full projection system for a meeting and is why I have two of them. My cell phone on unlimited data acting as wifi hotspot, my tablet or 2nd cell as a control and the device in a client's TV and i'm at a whole new level. For an additional $35 (and I got in on netflix for both) so it was even cheaper.

This is one of the single coolest devices out there in a long time. I'm even happier with it than with 4.3 from the same day and that has been working extremely well for me.

viguera and Espan like this.
  17. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back to the travel aspect of this: Any idea if content is blocked or limited overseas? I'm assuming Hulu and Netflix and the like would detect a foreign DSN and might block some content. I know I've had issues with Google Play book content disappearing overseas....

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My best friend has installed Chromecast and really likes it. For me, I still prefer the broader options offered via AppleTV.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Yeah he's insane... I've been waiting for something to unify Google Voice with the native SMS app and he released that Babel/Voice+ app that was rolled into CM10 the other day.

I guess that's the advantage of having such an open development ecosystem where people can build on top of what the vendor releases.

Personally my thoughts about the device remain unchanged though... I need more than what it offers, because I use my TV as a TV and not just an internet video/photo receiver. I need video overlay, DVR control and playback and seamless integration. Right now at least this is not the device for me but I agree that it's one of the most important gadgets to come out of Google in a long time.

Tenmoc and Espan like this.
  20. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've tried to use netflix in thailand on my computer and it was blocked (I think I tried Hulu too but not 100% sure on that) I haven't figured out vpn which someone more technical could say if that would work
    Every once in a while I get a message on youtube that the content isn't available in my area!!??? Haven't figured that one out.

Espan and Tenmoc like this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Traditionally, if you pipe through a VPN, netflix will run. My cousin did that in China for the year he was there and I know members here who do it from Australia too.

Might mean you need a small router to run it, but it could work.

22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't replacing my Roku either. But it is a huge compliment for it and also as I mentioned, a presentation device for me. It allows both of us in a meeting to put up a video or what not of what we're talking about to the client.

Nothing sells a vacation better than showing the client just what they're going to be getting sitting in their own house.

23. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Seems the devices are back at BBY with netflix codes

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    With codes? Cool.

Still no code from my amazon purchase (qualified for one)

25. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

Broader options? :rolleyes: You obviously aren't talking about the choice of devices that you can use with your AppleTV.

viguera and Tenmoc like this.