Christmas Markets

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jgg630, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those of you thinking of visiting Europe over the holidays, don't miss the chance to visit Christmas Markets.

I have done a river cruise the past 2 years and although the only flying involved was getting there and back, isn't that all that's involved with most trips. I wanted to share a little of the holiday spirit and European history.

The first link is on the Rhine River from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam.

The second link was this years cruise on the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg with a post cruise trip to Prague.

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.travelpod.com/z/jgilmer/1/1355011200

http://www.travelpod.com/z/jgilmer/3/1385514303

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed!

A couple years ago we enjoyed the Christkindlemarkt in downtown Munich (Marienplatz)

Then a few weeks ago, we overnighted in Munich, it would have been too late to shop the Marienplatz market so instead we spent time in the very nice Christkindlemarkt at MUC airport. Below is a photo (not mine)
    Christkindlemarkt MUC.jpg

ella, Flyer1976, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you're in NYC, visit the Christmas market at Grand Central Station, and don't miss the one in Bryant Park! ;)
    BTW, there's many more skaters (and room for them) in Bryant Park as compared to the more well-known skating rink at Rockefeller Center. :)

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and anileze like this.
  5. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Willie,

Where is the Chicago Christkimdl market?

I have a friend leaving for Munich tomorrow. I'll let you know what she thinks of that one.

anileze likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    First they started in Union Sq. And now they are all over the place. Even in near my neighborhood, Columbus Circle - South West corner of Central Park for the past many years :(

Newscience and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to the Christmas markets in Berlin (larger ones in Alexanderplatz and Charlottenburg Palace and a smaller one at Potsdamerplatz), Potsdam, Leipzig and Dresden. This was back in 2011. Photos are on THIS PAGE. My favorite was probably Leipzig as my hotel was right in the middle of the market and everything in that city is within walking distance (and the train station had a large shopping mall inside).

Was disappointed not to have any snow on the 2011 trip. Made up for it February, 2013, when it snowed every day except one on a 10 day trip around Germany and Austria.

Leipzig:
    [​IMG]

Dresden:
    [​IMG]

Potsdam:
    [​IMG]

Newscience, Sweet Willie and SpecialK like this.
  8. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've gone to the markets in Berlin, Munich, and Salzburg. Well Rome too, but it sucked. :oops: I really enjoyed Berlin as there were so many to choose from. Good food too. Munich and Salzburg had less presence, but still enjoyable. Need to find one to go to next year. :)

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the link I provided for Chicago, look under information tab/directions, parking is pricey so best to take a train into the city if needed.

While I enjoyed the mart at MUC, the one downtown at Marienplatz in Munich was much better.

Newscience and anileze like this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprisingly, I also liked one in Ghent. Maybe because I like Ghent, I like most of their seasonal outdoor fairs :)

Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  11. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Christmas markets are one of the best parts of Christmas for me and in the UK there are so many nice German markets, such as the ones in manchester; have also visited several of the amsterdam christmas markets which are amazing! Want to see more of the German markets across Europe

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Germany, I like the Christmas markets is some of the smaller cities. It can seem more like a neighborhood event although the vendors are professional. Bielefeld's one is considered outstanding by the locals. Every year, they have a special mug design; if you buy a hot beverage, you get to keep the mug, which becomes a wonderful unique souvenir.

13. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Manchester Markets.jpg

The Manchester Christmas Markets are good - They started off just in Albert Square and have now grown and reached the other end of the city.

14. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I turned all my mugs in. Not much better quality than ones at our office. :). Now if they came with the gluwein recipe on them... :D

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice pictures, we were in MUC this year at a convention, Octoberfest was being set up, City Center was great.

Chicago is always nice, but parking is expensive, and hard to find find ride the CTA. Went to school up there, back in the early 60s

16. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have visited many Christmas markets over the years and enjoy the handmade goods and foods - I recently visited the Paris markets (Champs-élysées and La Defense) during my Thanksgiving visit - photos and post are at http://philatravelgirl.com/paris-christmas-markets/

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did Mainz and Nuremberg a couple weeks ago. To compare the German and US markets is silly to me. The US versions are all about selling stuff to the attendees. The German ones are much more about friends, family & food, and they happen to have some goods available in some of the stalls, too. It makes a HUGE difference to me.

I'd skip Nuremberg and focus on smaller cities and smaller Christmas markets in Germany. Those are the ones where the emotion of the season is much stronger IMO.

Nuremberg:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mainz:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos available on Facebook or Google+.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to markets in Berlin and Dusseldorf. Enjoyed both, but Dusseldorf seemed to be smaller and less crowded.

NYC markets: I've been to the one in Bryant Park and the one at Columbus Circle. The one at Columbus Circle seemed to be much less crowded than Bryant Park (we were there this year week before Christmas.)