Christmas / Chanukah Presents

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by KyRoamer, Nov 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have offered to give Kiva cards as gifts to family members (my wife included) but had no takers. So I plan to see if Kiva has a way for me to make a gift in someone's name where Kiva will send out the acknowledgement via email. :confused: If not, I will make the gift and announce it here sending the recipient a link to the announcement. I will start with just four such gifts and see how they are received.

2. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I told my family they were getting them, I didn't give a choice. :D

3. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few Kiva gift cards were given at our family gift exchange, and then I was able to follow up the next day with an email explaining how Kiva works and how they could contribute. I've gotten a few nibbles from family members. Here's hoping!

4. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    One year I gave three friends a voucher for Christmas. Two quickly loaned but one thought it was a donation made in their name. After a few months I followed up, reprinted and she loaned. It may need prompting and some may cash out after their first loan but it's worth it!

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of taking a different approach to actually set up a Kiva account for someone, fund it, and actually make the first loan. As the loan is repaid, the money is their's to either reloan (hopefully) or withdraw. Any problem with this approach?

nime01, KyRoamer, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  6. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to add my son, but he stays off boards and has no regular handle. I might just have to pick one for him. :p

nime01, miles and smiles and YULtide like this.