Christchurch, NZ hit by 6.3 eathquake -- much damage

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. A friend is stuck in Sydney Airport. Its better than snow in the US :p

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad your friend is safe and having fun.

Meanwhile, some of us will be waiting to hear if our family and friends are dead or alive.

5. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is sad, they had yet to recover from last years one. Thinking of our NZ pals hope all are okay.

6. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow....some of my most wonderful journeys have been to the South Island of NZ...including Christchurch. One of the most wonderful places on Earth, IMO. Let us hope there are few serious injuries or damages...

8. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one is apparently "bigger" than the last, despite the smaller magnitude. It was closer to the Christchurch CBD than the last, and not as deep.

There are reports of significant damage, one person reported that an entire street in one area was pretty much completely destroyed. Multiple fatalities are likely, including reports from Civil Defence that two busses have been crushed by falling debris.

Boulders the "size of houses" have fallen from cliff tops and crushed cars and houses. Power, sewerage, water, phone, etc is mostly out of action, though there are still some cell sites running on backup generators but they will not last long.

CHC Airport is closed, it's believed the tower there has collapsed. Christchurch Cathedral is severely damaged and the spires have completely collapsed.

Remember, this earthquake was in the middle of the working day here in New Zealand and it definitely is not good. I've heard from one group of MP/FT friends who were at CHC airport that they are safe.

My thoughts are with everyone down there. Sadly, I don't think we've seen the last of these quakes. There was another 5.7 aftershock after the initial quake today already, and they will likely continue for coming days or perhaps weeks or months.

RIP to those that have lost their lives. I sincerely hope those reports are incorrect, but I'm afraid they are likely all too true.

9. Noelene
    Original Member

Noelene Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been watching the TV coverage since the quake, heartbreaking that lives have probably been lost this time.
    Hope all our NZ friends are OK, Glad to see you posting Will!

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only 5km deep, that's extremely shallow.

Kiwi, ThatJohn, et al: Please report in! ThatJohn's parents were sent off to the south island for a week, I hope they weren't anywhere near central CHC today.

11. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Live footage courtesy of ABC Australia, streaming NZ broadcasts (currently 3 News as of this writing) - the geographic block is lifted temporarily so this is viewable worldwide:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

Christchurch Cathedral - the spire - collapsed.

12. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone down there will likely be unable to report in - the only vaguely reliable communication right now is SMS, and even that is limited. The mobile and landline voice network that is still standing is being heavily prioritised for emergency call traffic only, and internet access is shaky.

Current fatalities reported to be 65, and rising. [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Sorry, but we had nothing more than an earthquake hit New Zealand that I had seen. Until sometime after I posted that note and i hadn't read the link. I hope your friend are okay. I have only been in a 5.9 quake, but nothing like the damage in NZ.

Its clear this was a really bad one. An article noted that the damage was much more severe than other 6.3 range shakers, because it was centered closer and a different depth in relation to the city.

I am sure it will require outside aid and assistance from other countries.

http://www.canterburyearthquake.govt.nz/

An update from some folks down there (from a different site I am on) advised call boxes are free for domestic calls.

14. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just found out!! [​IMG]

Did it cause any other damage to other cities, I saw the news ticker on Sky said it was felt as far as Queenstown, but no word on damage there.

15. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the damage is localised to CHC CBD area. Felt widely from Waiouru to Invercargill.

16. It seems it was mostly the down town (still early), as folks are posting from suburbs that their homes are stable. The government is asking people to text, to avoid overloading the mobile network. Many people are reporting they have power and internet, but no landline phone. Turns out there are some people I know down there.
    NZ civil defence uses twitter !

Australia is flying in assistance, while US is on standby. Power is spotty and water is out for much of the city, along with broken sewage pipes. People are advised to boil water if they still have service. Airport is open for emergency flights only.

There is a lot of video coverage now and a lot of tall buildings that haven't fallen will probably be condemned.

17. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Death toll is currently 65.

Difficult to communicate with people in the area since power is still out in much of the city, many cell towers down and comms badly overloaded.

19. The NZ and AU, along with US Air Force C-17s are at the airport already.

Its a very grim day in NZ

20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The US Antarctica program has a base at CHC airport.

21. I had some clue I suppose,as a reporter was saying its so useful to have them. I had guessed they came in from Guam. It will be require a lot of humanitarian aid, especially emergency food. Housing wasn't effected as badly (overall) as things like water, sewage and power that will take extended time to repair. I would think that after the tsunami, there is more equipment and aid pre-positioned for something like this.

22. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was terribly sad to see this news!

My thoughts are will all those caught in this quake or that have family/friends in the area.

23. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's horrible, I've been watching the news all day. [​IMG]