Choosing to earn miles over SPG points

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by DeacFlyer1, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been an SPG platinum member for about a year now, and have always had my account set to earn points. However, due to the upcoming US Airways Grand Slam promo, I just switched my earning options to miles...but I haven't had a stay since then to see how this works.

Basically, in the US Airways promo, you need a minimum of 200 miles per stay in order for the stay to count as a "hit." So my question is, does my 500 point Platinum amenity also get transferred to 500 miles, in addition to any miles I get from the room rate?

If those 500 points translate to miles, that's great, since then if I have a one night stay somewhere and the rate is less than $200 night (which is likely), I know I'll still get the hit...

Thanks in advance for any insight into this!

unclepants and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression a regular spy member earned 2 points per dollar. So wouldn't you only need to have a $100 a night room. For platinums it would be less I would assume. For last years GS promo I went and had a $50 dinner at a starwood restaurant and they gave me 100 points which then auto converted to 100 miles.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked whether earning miles will mean that you do not receive night/stay credit? If so, you should worry about that aspect too if you might have trouble requalifying for Plat.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    You definitely get stay/night credit even if your profile is set to earning miles instead of points.

5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:

Last year in the Grand Slam, my Platinum welcome points were all direct deposited to US airways (even on award stays). I believe the only instance when it does not happen is if the Platinum amenity posts separately at a later time (when compared to the hotel/restaurant points).

Here is an example from last year

Redeem -977 xx/xx/2010 US AIRWAYS D.D.

Earn +159 xx/xx/2010 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
    SPGELITE 50% BONUS

Earn +500 xx/xx/2010 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
    PLATINUM 500 THANK YOU AMENITY

Earn +318 xx/xx/2010 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers

Philippe likes this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point, I wasn't thinking about that...as Platinum you get 3 points per dollar, so that would translate to 3 miles per dollar, right? So a one-night stay with a room rate of $67 or greater should get me the 200 miles I need, right?

Sky King, don't forget that this year the terms have changed, and you now need 200 miles minimum to count as a hit...so you'd have to spend $100 on dinner to get enough miles.

Yeah, I remember reading this when I switched (although I've already requalified at Platinum so no worries either way!) that you still get night/stay credit.

7. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah the $50 dinners are a no go this year for me. I'm making them up elsewhere in the promotion. Now I just have to let the mrs. know. Told her we would be going out to three "nice" hotels for dinner. Oh well...more flowers for her.

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK -- SPG Platinum meeting our son mid-week in September in San Francisco (our award travel to China using last year's GS miles requires us to overnight there), and want to get a Starwood dine in --- any recommendations in the Bay Area for a good experience and great food? We know we have to spend $67, but that should be easy enough in SF with 3 of us -- but we don't want to spend 10 times that, either. Thanks!

9. Philippe

Philippe Silver Member

Status Points:
    If a member of my family transfer me some Starpoints and my earning options are set to miles, they will be automatically transfer to miles ???

10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Only base and elite bonus Starpoints earned on eligible charges posting from hotels will be posted to your account and then transferred to the airline program. Other sources of Starpoints will not be automatically transferred to miles.

https://spgpromos.com/moremiles/

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well with 3 people at an SPG property in San Francisco you can easily spend 10 times that indeed. :)

Depends on your preference though... Ame at the St. Regis is fantastic, as is Bourbon Steak at the Westin San Francis, but they're priced accordingly.