choosing seats on AA flight purchased through BA?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by girlsmom, Nov 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm AA platinum. Just booked award flights on AA for my family using my BA miles . Was able to chose seats through BA for the flights (as a OW Sapphire) but was not able to get "preferred" seats as it was through BA and not through AA. I do have the AA PNRs, but they are not linked to my AAdvantage # as the flights were booked using my BA Executive miles (pre-Avios). Would I be able to select the preferred seats if I call up the Plat desk and have them link the flights to my AAdvantage #?

rwoman likes this.
  2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should be able too. Just give AA a call and let us know what they told you.

girlsmom and rwoman like this.
  3. What I did in this situation (just a few weeks ago), was to call BA and have them change my FF# to my AA number (wouldn't let me do it online). Then, I could see the reservations on AA.com and change the seats with my status accounted for.

girlsmom and rwoman like this.
  4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No need to call BA, I've done this by calling the AA Plat desk and having them replace my BA FF # with my AA. Preferred seats were available to chose immediately after.

girlsmom likes this.
  5. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the procedure. I've been in this situation several times, and usually was able to select seating on all but the first segment. Maybe the Plat Desk can get that first segment changed.

girlsmom likes this.
  6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1
    Just did this a few weeks ago with two AA flights booked with BAEC pre-Avios miles.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

girlsmom likes this.
  7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not clear from your post whether you are on the PNR or not. If you are not on the PNR, and if nobody on the PNR is an AA elite, then I'm unsure if other Oneworld elites can choose Preferred Seats. If you are on the PNR, or if somebody on the PNR is an AA elite, then it should be no problem.

girlsmom likes this.
  8. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: I called BA and had them change my FF to my AA one. So they did that, but when I log on to AA it (a) doesn't show my reservation under "My Reservations" and (b) when I do access my reservation with my PNR it doesn't allow me to reserve elite seats (even though I'm elite). So I guess I'll have to call the Plat desk.

9. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the AA website is slow to grab the reservation information.

10. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what we have suggested.