0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Virgin America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RHStern

RHStern New Member

Status Points:
    I just moved away from my hometown and will be traveling back and forth a lot, I'd like to start collecting some miles consistently by choosing one airline and getting their frequent flyer credit card. I don't always need the cheapest flight, but I want the flights to go as smoothly as possible. What are your opinions between these airlines, based on delays, customer service, ticket prices, and frequent flyer program? I'm choosing between Delta Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest, Frontier, and Virgin America.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are you hoping to do with the miles?

dstober and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. RHStern

RHStern New Member

Status Points:
    Save them up for the occasional free flight. I don't imagine I'll be flying enough to get an elite status, but if I start flying with any frequency I would at least want the perks that come with having the credit card.

4. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you flying out of and to?

dstober and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Someone from this community once wrote "fly who goes there". By flying the dominant carrier on a route, you have more options in the event of irrops. The flip side: where do you want the award tickets to take you? Many of the carriers you've listed have very limited route networks. If you just want free tickets on the same route, that's no issue. If you want to go to Fiji, your options become more limited. And there are other factors: do you want to check bags on many/most flights? Do you need or want flexibility for same-day changes, or are you happy flying your purchased itinerary?

dstober likes this.
  6. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Traveltoomuch makes a lot of good points. Of the airlines you list, three only fly domestic routes. The other two have international routes as well. Think about where you may want to go, both on your regular flights and on your award tickets, before you decide.

dstober likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite. Four of the five have international operations on their own metal and the fifth (Southwest) also has it via their AirTran subsidiary and will soon have it on their own metal as the merger integration is completed. True, not all fly to Asia or Europe, but international covers a lot more of the world than just that.

If the paid flights are a lot of shorter routes then a cash-based program like TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards or Elevate might make more sense. If they are a lot of transcons then distance-based programs have some advantages. Also, the CC earning rates for Virgin's Elevate are pretty solid. Rapid Rewards not quite as good unless you churn a lot and love the companion pass.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The one that's apparently no longer available? ;)

MX likes this.
  9. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with cischoles, traveltoomuch and moon goddess -- it all depends on what are the most important factors about these airlines and how you can use their miles. If it's
    then I'd look at where I might want to fly to -- occasional free flight to your hometown? Then I'd go for the airline and miles that give you the most options (easiest award threshold and # of award seats) for that route.
    If you think you'd like to use those miles for other domestic travel, then who has the best award travel could be a toss-up with the airlines you've listed depending on where you fly out of now.
    If you're interested in saving up for an international option, then as Wandering Amarean noted, you have various options and I'd look to who has the easiest awards to actually redeem (and how they let you use miles within their alliance) and use for the general area of the world you might want to go.
    Hope this ramble is helpful.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :oops:

Didn't realize they'd killed the product entirely. That seems quite odd.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean likes this.