Choosing airlines ffp

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ebrown1384, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ebrown1384

ebrown1384 New Member

Status Points:
    Dear forum members,
    Greetings to you all from me. When I go through some of the threads it seems there exists altogether a new world of FFP enthusiasts. Yes I was a bit surprised to see how seriously it is taken by people.

I have a query and I hope you all will be able to help me, especially those with experience of elite status with different airlines.

From July onwards I’ll start to fly to international locations. I’ll be changing my base locations also during this time from Jakarta to Macau to Saigon to Hanoi. I’ll be flying to other countries in Asia for a while.

From November onwards, I’ll be staying at Dubai for one and half years. During this time I’ll be flying to India, South America, Oceania, Europe and Asia.

All my travels are going to be Business class. Since all my tickets are going to be paid by my employer including my annual holidays I do not think I’ll be using my miles except gift to others if possible. (George Clooney, “Oh. I’d like to transfer some of my miles. Can you open up an account under the name of _____”. Up In The Air. If this really happens in reality then I’d do it someday.)

When I read the threads I see people consider point to become elite, lounge access, burn ratio. I’ll have lounge access on each occasion; I’ll reach elite status of most of the airlines as I’ll be travelling frequently. So I need to consider the soft skills of the airlines towards the elite status members. I’ve read like greeting the passenger with name, seat allocation, food etc.. I have read how the elite members get personalized services. This is where the experienced members will be able to really share their views and opinions and guide me on the various aspects.

Here are few questions on my mind:

If I get premier status on one airline’s ffp in the alliance then will all the airlines provide me with the same kind of special treatment as the ffp airline?

If I become premier member of the founder airlines will it give any added advantage?

Is there a hierarchy in the alliance? Eg: Will the elite member of LH get a priority over elite member of TG by a third airline?

I went through the PPS club features of Singapore air, I was amused to see the features mentioned. Do all airlines go that far for the elite members?

I’m sure there are many more things that must be there and need to be considered before choosing the FFP. I’ll be thankful if some of you can educate me. So I can take an informed decision.
    Initially I plan to focus on *A and 1w only.

Regards.

cennas likes this.
  2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome! I can't answer a lot of your specific questions, but if you're gonna be traveling on paid J tickets the airlines will all be pretty nice to you! I've been in paid J as a nobody, and the experience on the ground and in the air has been great...

3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying business to begin with elite status wont make much difference anyway.

cliq likes this.
  4. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, if you're flying biz, status isn't all that important.

To answer some of your questions- yes, other airlines in the same alliance as the airline you're on will recognize your status. But what that means exactly will vary by airline and alliance. It might get you some free checked bags or access to a lounge.

There's no difference between founder airlines and later-joining airlines. There's also not a hierarchy, although most airlines will favor their own elites before elites on other same alliance airlines.

I'm not really familiar with Singapore's program so I'm not able to answer that question.

Hope that helps!

cennas likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying biz, top-level status in an alliance might get you 1st class lounge access instead of biz (i.e. oneworld) and somewhat better treatment if things go wrong. Primarily you'd just get better access to better phone agents and things like that. You'd need to be top tier before you'd really get anything noticeable over flying paid biz.

If you're not terribly interested in much better treatment when flying coach (or purchasing coach fares), upgrading to higher classes of service, redeeming miles for travels that'd otherwise be very expensive, even prohibitively so, you won't get a ton of value out of FF programs. Do you not anticipate desiring to travel on your own dime in addition to company paid biz at all?

Most of the PPS program benefits look pretty standard, other than the gift and emergency assistance provisions.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another example is that being *Gold on *A gets you into the LH SEN rather than business class lounge, whether you are flying coach or business class. They also have a separate first class lounge (and the FCT at FRA), but for this you must be flying IFC.

7. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP ebrown1384!

Yes.

No.

No. The third airline will provide the same treatment to all *G members regardless of their "home" airline.

Actually the PPS club features have been watered down in recent years. For example, pre-2007, being a PPS member can get you into F lounge, check-in in F desk, bags tagged with F priority, etc, when flying in J. But now not anymore. There is very little difference nowadays between a PPS flying in J and a status-less pax flying in J.

8. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're talking about Star Alliance, airlines are obliged to only provide you with the basic Silver/Gold benefits (e.g. extra baggage allowance, lounge access etc). Some airlines have tiers that are "higher" than *G like PPS Club, HON Circle (Lufthansa), etc, but you'll only get the extra special treatment on the FFP airline.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, in some cases closely-related airlines within an alliance may treat each other's elites better than other alliance elites. These are on a case by case basis. In most cases these benefits aren't necessarily of great use when flying on paid biz, though. The Delta/AF/KLM joint venture, as sometimes disfunctional as it is, includes benefits for partner elites in terms of getting reduced-cost or free economy comfort etc. that are not shared across all of Skyteam. Half of the time agents don't necessarily know about them, though...