Choosing a FF Program for Small Airport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jtcrew88, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Going to be moving to CHS in a few months, right now I'm at BOS, so I can choose between carriers to earn miles. CHS has UA, CO, DL, AA, SW, but all of my flights will be connecting through a hub. I know all of the complaints about mile value, award redemption, status benefits, etc. How have you MPers decided which FF program to go with for your small airport: closest hub? most departures? other?

2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would still go with who has the better network to where you want to fly. Although a close hub less than 500 miles away would mean bonus eqm and miles on every trip for minimal time.

While in BOS did you have a plan with one of these airlines? Are you looking to remain with the same or change because of other reasons?

3. Right now I'm DL Silver. I don't have any problem with it, but I'm not attached to it either. ATL is the closest hub to CHS, so it'd be easy to stay. I'll be traveling some for my new job, but I don't know the destinations yet. Most of my personal flights will be CHS -> BOS/DCA/LHR.

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you done any random comparisons on ITA or the like for which airline seems to be cheapest for your personal destinations?

I personally have AA and would stick with it in your situation but that doesn't mean its the best in your situation. Although it does have the benefit of all miles counting for lifetime status which when coupled with EXP and also some of the other offers, CC and banks and such, you can get through a million miles a lot faster than you'd expect.