Choose seats on AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Lionell, Mar 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I made flight reservations through an OTA for DUB-JFK-LAX and LAX-JFK-DUB. Afterwards I was able to see my reservation on the AAdvantage site but when trying to pick my seats and submitting it with a foreign credit card (I'm based in Belgium), I got an error and had to contact AA customer service.

The customer service rep told that both the website and the agent could not process a foreign credit card for seat reservations... So what's my best option? Head to BRU airport tomorrow and see if it can be done through the AA reservations & ticketing desk?

uggboy and daninstl like this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your OTA wouldn't allow you to choose seats on their end and submit it to AA?

3. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just managed to select seats through the AA app on IOS and it showed amounts in Euro. I have verified the reservation on the AA site, and seat allocation is now showing :) Most probably will need to pay the fees for reservation at check in, but will check with AA. Happy camper for now, got the exit row seats we wanted :)

uggboy, daninstl and Sammich like this.
  4. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I couldn't select any seats through the OTA.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange. I can't imagine AA or the OTA couldn't help you do this over the phone at least. The only time I run into this is where I'm booking from a partner airline like BA to AA, etc. Usually you can go to Finnair or Turkish, etc. to hack around that. Worst case when you call they usually can help get you to the right person. My guess is the OTA is a problem with this in your case.

uggboy and Lionell like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the OP is trying to buy Main Cabin Extra seats in which case it makes a bit of sense that AA blocks the OTA from assigning them. That would be losing potential revenue.

Does seem a horrible oversight by AA to not permit such sales to foreign CCs.

7. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed on 2 of our flights I'm trying to get exit row seats in Main Cabin Extra. I'm currently on the train to BRU airport to settle this with the AA ticketing desk.
    The seats are still showing in my online reservation, just a matter of paying for them. I'll figure it out with them and let you guys know.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called AA locally but they don't work during the weekend as I got transferred to a US based calling center. It was a paid number.
    Afterwards used our Skype to call the toll free number in the US and they were very helpful in guiding me through the seat allocation process but at first didn't understand the error I got. Eventually she managed to put in the seats manually and after entering my CC details, and verifying my address she told me it was due to foreign CC.

Just curious if it will be the same thing when I'll be requesting my Platinum challenge... It better not.

daninstl likes this.
  9. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK that wasn't a good trip... According to the AA website there should be a ticketing desk at BRU airport, already on my way back again as I found out that AA no longer has a local desk here at BRU. I asked the people at US and they advised me to call the local Belgian AA Reservations number tomorrow.

daninstl likes this.
  10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that @Animine. :(

(Poasted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Lionell and daninstl like this.
  11. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah bummer indeed, hopefully more luck on the phone tomorrow...

ACMM likes this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheers to that!

(Poasted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Lionell likes this.