choice of FF program from a geographic perspective

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ACPanda, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to start this thread based on a past experience. I was flying AA MSP-DFW and was crediting the flight to QF. One of the FAs stopped by and mentioned that they saw that I was a QF FF. As the discussion continued they were rather surprised that a US-based flyer would have a QF account instead of AA (I actually have both, along with JL, CX, BA and AY).

In general, I do have FF accounts with all of the US majors, but I also sometimes use accounts of other members of each alliance.

I am wondering if others have had a similar experience with airline staff mentioning the choice of program within an alliance and also how many collect in programs in which the airline program does not coincide with the airline one normally flies and is based in a different geographic region than where one does a majority of their flying.

2. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm based in SIN and my *A carrier is UA. But I also have a Krisflyer and ANA account (which I rarely use). If I'm in Australia, I will only fly QF and will credit all my OW flying to them (but I really only use QF for domestic). Everything else is EK.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that many people are not aware that you can do this. In fact, in the past, US addresses could not have a KLM FF account (referred to NW) and European addresses could not have a NW account (referred to KLM) as part of the joint agreement. I remember signing up with a European address because I wanted to see KLM's program rules.

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know in Europe there are a lot of people who hold status in a US program because of the better reward offerings

5. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am based in SIN. Used to credit all my miles to Krisflyer. At that time, didnt know that Krisflyer was one of the worst programs put there. But actually worked out well for me, as I redeemed for expensive Silkair regional flights which are not possible from any other program.

Now that my travel patterns have changed, I am crediting to USAirways. If i think it is worth it (if 3-4 paid C-class x-continental biz trips upcoming), I might credit to Aeroplan.

6. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found it better to have my primary status with the local airlines I fly - mainly SQ and QF. They work well for the domestic and regional travel I do. Once qualified I look to other options for travel and points.