Choice Of Chase Card - Help Us Choose

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rodeojones, Apr 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I due for a AOR and are deciding between two Chase products.

Chase British Airways vs. Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier (targeted offer for both of us)

Chase BA
    50,000 Avios after $1,000 in 3 months
    $95.00 fee not waived
    Points can be shared within same household
    Points expire after 36 months with no activity

Chase SW Rapid Rewards Premier (targeted offer for both of us)
    50,000 points after $2,000 in 3 months
    $99.00 fee not waived
    Points cannot be shared
    Points don't expire

We are based out of Seattle and fly a couple times a year. Were not high rollers and have never flown in business or first class. Our points are currently found in Chase UR, SPG, AA, US A, and United.

Planning a trip to Belize next summer, have yet to purchase tickets.

I appreciate your advice.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    rodeojones likes this.
  3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. You didn't mention any domestic travel plans, so I'd go with BA.
    • Domestic AND international award access
    • Lower spend (though not so much that this would tip the balance)
    • BA's "household accounts" usually make things easier. (see below)
    "Sharing" is an oversimplification of BA Household Accounts so be sure you understand the Ts&Cs.

The advantage, of course, is that everyone in your "household" can pool their points, so that does make things easier at redemption time.

Examples
      1. Redemption costs 25,000 points. You have 27,000 in your account. Your wife has 23,000. On most carriers, you're hosed because you can redeem, but you can't scoot your extra 2,000 over to your wife so she can. (You can usually buy miles to make up the difference, but that's not the point.) However, if you're both part of the same BA "household", you've got all 50,000 pooled together and you can redeem for both tickets.
      2. Redemption costs 25,000. You both have 25,000 points. On most carriers, you have to redeem as two independent transactions, so while you're booking one award the second seat may "get away" before you can call in to redeem the other one. With BA households, not a problem. You do them both at once.
    But there are some gotchas if you don't know about them:

Examples
      1. The "head" of the household controls the pooled points and the math on how they get pooled and what happens if you ever break up the household is hinky. For most people this doesn't matter.
      2. The biggest "gotcha" is that you cannot redeem for a ticket issued to someone who is not part of your household. For example, if you and your brother want to go to Vegas, you cannot redeem your Avios for his ticket because he's not part of your "household." (Yes, you could claim that he's part of your household, lives with you, etc., but that depends on your level of comfort with bending the rules.) Even if you want to take your kid who genuinely does live with you, you still have to go through the exercise of setting up an Avios account for him/her.

rodeojones likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you only fly a couple of times per year, I'd highly recommend avoiding Southwest. If you're going to travel minimally, at least make it worthwhile travel. WN is insanely convenient for me with direct flights to see my folks in SDF and a few other places, but I try to avoid them unless I get a ridiculous deal (like 7.6k one-way MSN-MCO next month). The WN Companion Pass is only really valuable if you travel 6+ times per year, and to me, that's really the only draw of flying with them.

rodeojones likes this.
  5. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the advice...BA it is. :)