Chinese Airlines

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by AnthroFlyer, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AnthroFlyer
    Original Member

AnthroFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the best airlines in China for in-country travel?

2. Honestly in Y in over 20 domestic flights, I have found them to be pretty much equivalent. They still provide food, all seem to get canceled or delayed at fairly similar rates. Since I am usually in a very low fare class, I can't even get miles for the flights so that hasn't been a factor.

3. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something to look forward to, I guess...

Hopefully by 2013 they'll have their act together!

4. Despite my ringing endorsement above I haven't had too many problems, it's just not a particularly pleasant experience in Y. The security and check in lines can be insane so I try to arrive fairly early at larger airports (Beijing, Guangzhou); smaller airports like Lanzhou or Kashgar don't require showing up ultra-early.

5. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    We flew China Eastern in first for very little more than coach tickets. Servicee was excellent, and for the short flight we were served an excellent multi course meal with wonderful wines! We also flew DragonAir about 3 years ago. Shanghai to Hong Kong. Flight was delayed about an hour, we were in coach, but food was good and service was as well.

6. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd recommend Hainan airlines, their service is pretty even in coach class and I think they still provide food.

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's important to look at airline accident rates in China. Some of them have significant problems:

Asian Airline Companies Safety Ratings.JPG

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to this I should take CA over TG everyday. Therefor I'll take this with a large block of salt.

I've only taken 2 domestic segments and they were on CA. No problem getting past the lines with *G and lounge access as well. Nothing was bad, nothing was great.

9. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since China Airlines has the worst accident rate I'm curious how you reached your conclusion.

10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems it was a direct comparison between TG and CA. The point is, who would choose CA over TG?

11. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Considering the accident rates, no one should choose China Airlines over TG. Considering service levels, no one should choose China Airlines over TG.

12. AtomicGardener
    Original Member

AtomicGardener Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a link to this data or did you construct it yourself?

kwai likes this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    CA is Air China.
    China Airlines is CI.

thetenken likes this.
  14. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    AtomicGardener likes this.
  15. AtomicGardener
    Original Member

AtomicGardener Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see where he thinks China is the best ranked. If the rating is a negative number this means that the airline is that much more ABOVE the average crash rating (not sure why but whatever). IE- in this list China Air is the worst rated; All Nippon is the highest rated or the safest airline to travel on in Asia.
    "Accident Rate - The percent above or below the average accident rate for all 85 airlines. A plus accident rate is a better accident rate and a minus is a worse accident rate."

FWIW the site uses "Airways magazine, various issues" as data references.
    http://www.planecrashinfo.com/reference.htm

HiIslands likes this.
  16. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone flown Juneyao out of Pudong? Hongqiao is their hub, and their webpage provides info only about Hongqiao. I have a long layover coming off TPAC. What are the lounge options for *G, flying J?

17. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
  18. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to get to XMN, so this would work out for me :)
    Unfortunately, ticket was booked for me at short notice. I can't imagine why they chose Juneyao as there are plenty of options. Only two day turnaround in Xiamen, so a delay would be bad news. Wish me luck

19. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Safe travels. Hope all goes well for you.

20. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the good wishes. Quite painless trip. Juneyao is just fine. On the way down, I was the only one up front; on the way up, one other pax (also coming from the same meeting). As usual, very courteous FAs, also knew enough to be unobtrusive when the two of us were chatting. Minimal delays on both flights. A bit surprised that there is no in-flight entertainment at all. I would fly them again short-haul

In answer to my own earlier question about lounges, Juneyao uses the shared lounge in T2 domestic. It is one of those lounges that is SIGNIFICANTLY less comfortable than just sitting at the gate. It is a very cramped little box in the middle of the concourse; I gave it ten minutes before the smell of the toilet got too much for me. So to revise my comment above, if lounge comfort is an issue, this airline is not for you

HiIslands likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had very good (domestic) experiences with China Southern (CZ) in business and FC. They have separate check in lines where some English is spoken, lounges (don't expect much beyond coffee, newspapers, and smoking areas), Chinese meals with beer and barely drinkable wine, and most importantly good customer service in things like answering the phone and contacting my travel agent about schedule changes on electronic tickets. Their front cabin (of two, where some flights are designated as business and some as FC, but I can't tell the difference) has nice USA domestic FC type seats, wider and more spacious leg room than some aircraft I fly in the USA with very nice slippers, even on flights only about an hour in length. The planes seem to be new, clean, and on time. For me it's worked very well.

HiIslands likes this.