China's threat to Boeing, Airbus 'overblown?'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: China's threat to Boeing, Airbus 'overblown?'
    I have not followed this, but have always thought the airplane building business is a tough one...

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the threat on the internal market is quite credible. China will tolerate higher risks to support its homegrown manufacturers as they will also punish those responsible for any catastrophes. From there, secondary markets in Asia and Africa will be the target, but that will certainly be sometime.

uggboy, MX, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and a decade isn't that much time in the aircraft industry. The 787 (then called 7E7) was announced in January 2003. Ten years later the first on my just have been delivered to a US carrier.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  4. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    China making planes sounds like a disaster. It seems like everything they make is crap. The day Chinese planes replace the planes we are currently flying on is the day I retire flying.

rwoman likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like the iPhone or iPad? ;)

I'm planning (hoping?) to fly for another 30 years. I'd be surprised if, during that time, I would not fly on a Chinese-made and designed airliner operated by a non-Chinese airline.

rwoman and FlyingBear like this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    As pointed out above, that's one statement divorced from reality. They have a fascinating ability to make stuff for very cheap cutting corners where people didn't expect corners to be, but China also produces numerous high quality products. Brilliance, an automaker, is a good example. Their first attempt at getting to European market was atrocious in safety, but just fine by Chinese standards. Next go round, they substantially improved the product to actually be acceptable in European market.

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    With lead paint, used electronics, pirated software, etc , etc

rwoman and NYCAdventurer like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And we have seen that before with Japan and Korea.

rwoman and FlyingBear like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:

I like this game!

Chevrolet Vega, Ford Edsel, Ford Pinto, Ford Explorer together with Firestone Tires (US made only), Peanut Butter, Pistachios, etc, etc.

Basically, if you are not making your own product in your backyard, it is unsafe. ;)

10. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    As far as I am concerned there should be a trade embargo against China. They suppress their people and are committing crimes against humanity. What they do to the people of Tibet is a complete atrocity. We have all given into them in the US and around the world by purchasing their inferior products to save a buck. Though I do own many Chinese goods, when I am able to avoid purchasing Chinese made products I do so!

rwoman likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not saying that I don't agree with your concerns about China but... while I am not an economist, I think a trade embargo would be rather painful for us. It's not like Iran or Syria where we don't actually want anything they make...

Edit: Okay, we might want Iran's oil. Minor detail :D

12. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    This isn't realistic, just stating my feelings..

13. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So is an iPad is the same as a 747-8? If my iPad breaks oh well. If my 747-8 breaks then I am in some serious trouble. As long as China's manufacturing is dominated by turn of the 20th Century Robber Baron-ish practices, they will never compete in a world market for AC. IMO

Cheers -

14. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that's just moving targets. The claim was made that China can't make anything quality, which can be easily disproven. We can either show examples of quality in China (how about tourbillon that make Swill cry?) or how even "quality" companies in the West have major issues of the sort you expect in China (A380 comes to mind).

With misconception of quality taken care of, the only question left is time until all the necessary pieces can be put together to be viable competition.

As far as historic references, it's closer to late 19th century. Just a bit past Pullman strike type of stuff going on, but no unions or government regulations to speak of to protect worker's interests.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No misconception of quality and no moving target, you simply set up straw men in your reply so that you could easily knock them down. You ride the Chinese plane, I'll take my chances on the quality issues with the A380. The Chinese at this moment are incapable of competing for AC. And it is a quality issue.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe at this moment the Chinese have no aircraft near production that is designed to compete with Airbus or Boeing.

That said, IMO Boeing and Airbus would be foolish if they didn't consider China a potentially serious and certainly ambitious and well-financed competitor. It seems Cisco has come to realize that in the case of Huawei, for example.

FlyingBear likes this.
  17. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice straw man followed up by a silly absolute statement. Considering that you actually quoted me talking about the "question of time" and nothing about China being competition "now", that's even sillier. Are you the pot or the kettle then?

To summarize: China will be a force to recon with in the future when it comes to building airplanes. The only question is when. Making absolute statements that China is incapable of doing so puts anyone saying it in the same category as the naysayers for Japan and Korea rising as quality manufacturing powers in the decades before. I guess that's a lot of people to keep you company as consolation.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.