Under Review China's Internet Firewall

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by taiwaned, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mentioned this in the Beta Feedback section already.
    Being in China, if I use VPN I have no problems with milepoint however without VPN, depending on what advertising is embedded on the page, causes the page to hang. Today has been especially bad and the culprit was on the bottom of the page a small embedded ad with the word "twitter". Therefore that embedded had portion of the page gets a "cannot connect to the internet" message which makes the whole page slow to load or not load at all.
    On FT, there was a function that removes facebook and twitter feeds. Can we do that here? It is a pain to always have to VPN to go to milepoint.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    taiwaned, I have added this to our master list as something we will look into, but I imagine if this is a problem for you on milepoint it must also be a problem for you all over the internet as well. With that in mind it might make sense for you to look into a way to block Twitter from all sites on your end of things.

3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this problem with FT until another member explained that under ones profile options you can check a box "Hide Facebook Connect" in the miscellaneous options section. Yes, FT sometimes still slows down but it is uncomparable how fast it became after I choose this option.
    Yes, if I try reading my favorite newspapers, cnn, bloomberg etc without vpn it also is slow and it hangs on occasion but on MP, I can request a change. ;) Thanks for looking into this.