China:

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by JackB3, Jun 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Is Shanghai and Beijing too polluted for sightseeing.
    Thinking of MO Shanghai and Opposite House Bej
    Sorry have to add that I would like to spend a week here and have some fine dining such as Jean Georges Three on the Bund etc options as well. Is Cathay Pacific a good airline ? Business Class?
    Also I am looking at other countries what are some of the best places you have been to for sight seeing ????

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint

Shanghai has very little pollution. We were there earlier this year and are going back in December. It is a fantastic city. If you want a great view at night, I would stay on the bund. We stayed at the Waldorf and will be at the Grand Hyatt in December.

FlyingFree likes this.
  3. My dad said it was so polluted that I would not be able to see beyond like 20 meters is this even true??
    I was thinking of the RItz or the Pen !!!! as well ! How was the Waldorf

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of just a few months ago, there was no pollution to speak of. You could see for miles. The Waldorf was absolutely fantastic. As a Hilton Diamond I was upgraded to a river view room. They offered me a suite, but it was not a river view and I preferred the river view at night. It is spectacular. We had free breakfast every morning. The service was fantastic as was the hotel itself. The location could not have been better. If not for the fact that I need some Hyatt stays to maintain my Hyatt Diamond status, I would certainly be going back to the Waldorf in December. Depending on how long you will be there, I would highly recommend a tour of one of the water cities. The tour of the tower in Pudong was really nice with fantastic displays throughout. If you like Peking Duck, do not miss the restaurant at the Hyatt on the bund. If you need any clothing, I had a suit and three shirts made for me while I was there and the prices were quite reasonable. There are several tailor shops to choose from in the garment district.

5. but isn't pollution in China an issue???

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will enjoy Cathay in business class.

You could spend months in mainland China.

If you feel strongly about adding other countries to a trip, consider Thailand, Vietnam, Japan or Indonesia (Bali). Recognize that these countries are two to seven hour flights from where you will be. But.....while you're in the neighborhood. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can certainly do better than Hilton hotels in China. While they are quite nice by US standards, if you can swing the MO or Opposite House, I'd do it.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. I was thinking of the Pen or MO I have a budget of 550 dollars -600 dollars per a night. I am from NZ.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    not very much in Shanghai. In Beijing it can be a real problem.

10. okay thank you can I go to Thailand then China and Vietnam

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

The MO is a very nice hotel, but it depends on what you are looking for. If you prefer more modern, the MO is great. If you want a hotel room that is more elegant on the interior, I would choose the Waldorf. They both will have excellent views.

Other places that we have enjoyed in Asia include Bali, Singapore, Tokyo and Kyoto. If you have any questions about those locations I can gladly give you some info.

12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Depending on how much time you have and what your interests are, you may want to go to Cambodia if you are going to Thailand.

13. 3-4 weeks