China Southern does NOT like "foreign" credit-cards!?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by Thomask, Aug 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the last couple days/weeks I have been unable to buy domestic and international tickets on the China Southern website. I think they use a system called "worldpay" Even if I call in they suggest I go to one of their offices or ask a chinese friend for help. There is nothing wrong with my cc's I have used them on Thai, Air China, Cathy Pacific and Ethiopian air. China Southern or their cc processing company does not contact my bank at all. They call and say they are sorry but can not fix the problem. Has that happened to you as well in the last couple days/weeks? They are a BIG and growing airline, but their customer- service is just starting to walk. Heavy hierarchy. Fazit: China Southern fails in its primary purpose: to sell tickets at least if you use a foreign credit card....

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    All Chinese carriers are like this, it's weird.

I've had a hard time booking domestic tickets on SZ Air, China Southern/Northern and Air China...all of them wouldn't take my foreign cc.

Fine, I said, let's use the China based site instead of Canada. What do you know? Rates are 10x cheaper for the same routes!

Oh wait, here's the catch...you need a china-based cell phone to complete the purchase. wtf?

Booking fares with Chinese carriers was extremely difficult to me unless you're willing to pay the hiked rate and book it via a third party travel agent eg. Expedia/Travelocity...etc.

3. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally after many hour on the phone with them even more phone calls you can use credit card again.... I hope for longer than a couple days but for good.

4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you got it sorted. I probably wouldn't have the patience to call them :p

Thomask likes this.
  5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to book CZ flights recently without any issues.

Thomask and Sammich like this.
  6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have also been able to book one flight since using foreign credit card. Maybe the hours i (and others) spent on the phone with CZ complaining, helped.

7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    glad it worked out for you Thomask...

8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just tried to book another ticket with CZ, its down again. I tried 3 different credit-card but CZ system does not permit transaction. They do not like foreign credit-card. This has been going on for 7 weeks now. They must not understand the word "change".

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Worldpay is an international payment system. I've used it in the past but I didn't like it... awkward, sloppy system, PITA. That was several years ago, perhaps they've improved it.

10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    They do not really say but I think CZ is stuck in a contract with Worldpay that they can not get out easily. The customer-service of CZ is bad if something goes wrong because on one that has authority within their structure speaks english.