China prime minister worries tourists are ruining country’s reputation abroad

Discussion in 'Asia' started by uggboy, May 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || China prime minister worries tourists are ruining country’s reputation abroad ||

[​IMG]

WilliamQ, Sammich, dannyjacob and 3 others like this.
  2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as in any other country, Chinese tourists need to be informed of the cultural norms and values of their host country and respect them. It's one of the responsibilities of any global traveler.

WilliamQ, Sammich, dannyjacob and 4 others like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also wonder if it's a case of "letting go" when visiting a less repressing country. (Or perhaps more accurately, a country with different areas of repression.)

I have been in China and -- to me, anyhow -- it was the Americans there who were being loud and obnoxious.

5. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    People see what they want to see. There are a lot of this type of Chinese tourists in at least Singapore and Hong Kong. Not being ethnic Chinese I'm not too concerned as this will go away once people start having old money in China. Remember this is often first generation with money. It seems ethnic Chinese from outside of China are more concerned but perhaps some of them could tell me whether that's really true.

To be honest I'm more irritated by another group and it's not Americans. But like I said: people see what they want to see.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    The problem is that this may take a generation or more to go away. I am one of those ethnic Chinese that is not from china and completely embarrassed by them (also happen to be American, double whammy?) and can't stand them. We I say them, it isn't about being Chinese only as i am. It is about those that think they own the world, throw money around and think you can throw out any and all civility. I would put this at par if not worse than Jersey Shore, Paris Hilton or the Khardashians.

This is probably not noticeable to a non-Chinese but you can sense and see the frustrations and angst between local Chinese and those from China in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. Two places I am quite familiar with when dealing with Mainland Chinese.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

higal, WilliamQ, OY-JFS and 1 other person like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Very true. Question is if they will want to learn is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz likes this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not about Chinese, or American per se; it is about a subset of tourists from nearly each country; who tour in groups/packs/tribe and given the economics of the travel associated with that group. Ask local in the Greek Islands, or folks in DR, or Aruba, Cancun, Antigua, Goa, Malaga, thailand, vietnam, or Jamaica, ...list goes on.

No ethnicity is immune to it :)

HiIslands, dannyjacob and Kalboz like this.
  9. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, the non-Chinese that live in Singapore and Hong Kong are blissfully ignorant?

Anyway, if you truly want to bring out the worst in people, let them leave their homeland.

Kalboz and anileze like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If he is concerned about his countries reputation abroad, he should look internally- total lack of respect for intellectual property, lack of concern for product quality/liability issues, human rights abuses, environmental disasters (their industrial pollution drifts around the world), etc...

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Singapore Flyer likes this.
  12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

Pretty sad. :( Not the first, won't be the last, when a teenager defaces a historical monument. As my friend, a social scientist once commented on scribblings on stones @ at one of the DTW's gate -

dannyjacob and Kalboz like this.
  13. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    oh God, I hope not...:eek: as they should be able to tell the difference after spending time there. My family went to HK Disney and we were waiting for the fireworks show at the castle. My wife had to go to the bathroom and she came back and tried to get back to our section. We were maybe 12 feet away from the outer edge. Common practice is to make a little bit of space to let her back in, (like in many other large outdoor settings, Central Park events, etc... ) but they outright refused. They said too bad...except not as nice. My wife showed her fierce Singaporean side and dished it back to them in Chinese. it was hilarious, upsetting and frustrating all at the same time.

anileze and Kalboz like this.
  14. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Cane him? These kids are just incredulous. :mad: There is a phrase in Chinese that literally means "No house teaching/learning" it is an ultimate "disrespect" of a family. However, he could just be an outlier in his own family. Kids will be kids right? :rolleyes:

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eh, but in that part of the world, the blame goes back to the parents/superiors, right? It's all about the 孝道.

At the same time, way before this incident happened, Westerners were looting ancient Egyptian sites too. Unfortunately, no one can be exculpated from this type (in other words, bad) of behavior.

Singapore Flyer, anileze and Kalboz like this.
  16. dannyjacob

dannyjacob Member

Status Points:
    An increasingly bad image of a part of Chinese tourists. When I got to Vietnam and Laos 3 years ago, I met many people of such unexceptable behaviour like this, shouting, paying unrespect to the local norms. For the breakfasts, they always demanded too much.

17. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    no need for the Chinese to leave China to be bad tourists, they are a formidable lot right at home

visiting a tourist site in China during a holiday is a positively frightening experience :eek:

18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have me all figured out! Not proud and do feel ashamed that I try to draw the distinction between China-chinese and myself.

19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think that is true in this particular area as they were not "repressed" from spitting in public, ignoring traffic regulations etc in public back in China and these were some of the identified behaviours that is causing raised eyebrows elsewhere.

I can however relate if we were saying that they visit "repressed / uncensored" websites or trying "new" western stuff in excess (when touring) aka letting go as they cannot do this back home