China 72 hour Visa free

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Dozer, Nov 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a quick trip to Shanghai in a few months and learned that Shanghai offers a visa free, 72 hour transit. According to reports, you don't need to apply for a visa prior to arrival and all you have to do is get an immigration stamp upon arrival to the airport.

My visit will be 60 hours total and I will be connecting from Seoul and transiting to Bangkok two days later. I only plan to tool around Shanghai during my visit.

Just wondering if anyone has taken advantage of this visa free transit and if it worked as smoothly as I hope it to be. Any personal advice or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The process should be smooth...once in ShanghaI.

Print out your complete itinerary and maybe even the Timatic description where it says you are allowed to do the 72 hour TWOV (transit without visa). Have this for ICN staff and it will be a great help.

A couple of questions though- did you double-check that your passport can do the TWOV?

Are you planning on doing this on the way back? It's just that you have to make sure you are flying to a 3rd country (Hong Kong and Macao count; so BKK-PVG-HKG works).

Dozer and anileze like this.
  3. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. Yup, I have a US passport so I'm good there. My itinerary will look like this: LAX-IST-FRA-ICN-PVG-BKK-CDG-YUL-LAX. I'm only doing China on one leg of the trip.

4. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Status Points:
    Yep, just print out the itinerary and Timatic info (and come to think of it, if the Chinese embassy website has this TWOV stuff listed too, you might want to print it out) and you should be set.

Dozer likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For TIMATIC make sure to put PVG as a connection point, not the destination, in your itinerary plan. Otherwise the TWOV might not show IIRC.

Dozer and anileze like this.
  6. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I'm glad I asked. What's a TIMATIC and how do I get PVG to be a connecting point and not the destination? Technically, it is my destination. . .

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    TIMATIC is a system run by the airlines and IATA to manage passport/visa requirement data. You can see one example of the interface here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC.

Put in ICN as the origin, PVG as a transit point and BKK as the destination. Yes, you are staying in PVG longer than 24 hours but it will still be a transit per Chinese rules.

anileze likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did PVG TWOV in March. It worked smoothly in PVG, just remember than you cannot leave the Shanghai area. You must have a hotel reservation in Shanghai.

OTOH, airline check in agents and gate agents aren't as well informed about this as they should be, not do supervisors even get it right. If you can have your airline document in your record that your itinerary qualifies for TWOV, it might help. Otherwise, carry a hard copy of the TIMATIC rules, ideally from your carrier's or alliance's website, the official information from Shanghai about this,and any other evidence you can find. Unfortunately consulate websites can be years out of date.

RDJ and anileze like this.
  9. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Status Points:
    Seems the LA Consulate gets it. Uncommon indeed.

That UA link didn't work for me, but as another example, this one from KLM works: http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year (two years ago?), when TWOV was 48 hours, I had a 47hr stopover which was elongated to 48.5hrs due to an early arrival!!! After putzing around and walking slowly to immigration it was a few minutes under 48hrs and the processing was tedious. Probably 45 minutes later I wandered out and two security officers were with my bag; I was the last one from the the flight at baggage claim.

A few days prior my TWOV was all of 8 hours and I was in and out of immi super quick.