China’s high-speed rail is so popular, it’s hurting the domestic airline industry

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://qz.com/193556/chinas-high-speed-rail-is-so-popular-its-hurting-the-domestic-airline-industry/

[​IMG]

China Southern Airlines is the latest Chinese airline to post miserable year-end 2013 results. Net profit dropped 24% to 1.99 billion yuan ($321 million), and operating profit fell 70%. China Southern Airlines joins Air China, where net profit dropped 32% in 2013, and China Eastern Airlines, where it fell by 25%.

High oil prices, as well as increased competition from low-cost carriers and each other, have taken a toll. But, as each airline has recently acknowledged, so has China’s massive and growing high-speed rail system.

As Quartz reported last August, the costly and sometimes under-used rail network was shaping up to be a vital part of China’s growth strategy. It doesn’t have the hurdles of the airline industry: Airlines in China struggle to get clearances from the military to expand flight paths, and China’s major airports have earned the title of the most-delayed in the world, where passengers sometimes riot to protest long waits and miserable customer service.

Read More: http://qz.com/193556/chinas-high-speed-rail-is-so-popular-its-hurting-the-domestic-airline-industry/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting numbers, that's for sure. I wonder how the airlines react...lower fares...perhaps?

3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you'll start to see merges.

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, how I wish that we had a similar "problem" in the U.S. - the choice between air travel and high-speed rail! Sadly, it will never happen, given the lack of governmental will (i.e., "growth strategy") to support a high speed rail system. It is likely that the rail system in the U.S. will always remain mostly a poor 2nd (or 3rd) alternative to air travel.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the lack of support in the US lies primarily with the travelling public. Americans just love their cars and various attempts to put even commuter rail service in regions like LA or Dade/Broward in South Florida has suffered with less than enthusiastic response from the commuters.

The Federal Govt. had earmarked $Billions for night speed rail Tampa/Orlando/Miami and the idiot Gov. Scott rejected it because he claims, its not cost effective.

Back to the topic at hand having experienced flying domestic in China I am not surprised that the public there prefers rail travel, because of the crappy customer service, DYKWIA attitude by the "new rich" passengers and generally unruliness of the other classes ( I have seen things at Chinese airports I have witnessed in much poorer third world nations) added to all the above stupid security rules ..not that some of those problems don't exist on trains.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    China pushed the trains, we pushed the planes.
    China pushed for one child, the US Pushed for many a child,
    China pushes for advanced schooling,
    The US lowers the grade average, to give the grades a hype.
    Makes you wonder some times, when you look at the Great Wall
    We do have many wars to pay for, nice of China to loan US money.
    The trains are great over there and in Europe,
    Their planes are also much larger, very few small regional ones..

Newscience likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    So China is so great .. I am sure the Tibetans or the tens of millions purged during the Cultural Revolution would wholly agree.:)
    Hey the US does have its faults and we do owe China a lot of money ( mostly to pay some of the crappy products they sell us)

Perhaps the US should have built a Great Wall at our borders using slave labor like the Chinese.:rolleyes:

8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Border wall would have been great, our politicians do not work as a unit.

I have been to China many times, and wife is Chinese, after her 13 years at a Harvard, I sometimes feel dumb, when she solves the problem,
    I admire her, work effort and commitments to family.

They protest in China also, they do not throw money at welfare types, that slave labor, has been with us since the beginning of time, no work no eat, many of their people joined the army just to eat also,

Guess they had a community organizer also, ours lives pretty well.:rolleyes:

foxberg likes this.
  9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you need a reminder of how much crap was built in US using a slave labor?

canucklehead and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main problem in the US was we had too many children and did not understand the responsibilities that went with them.
    The church and the politicians seen more.votes and participants.

Any action has responsibilities.

China was also having problems, and declined the numbers of babies, and debt.

We chose to have the children solve the problem, and went on kidding ourself.

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is borderline racist nonsense:mad:.
    The birth rate the US is among the lowest in industrialized countries.
    The Chinese instituted birth control not because they are so smart but because they determined rightly or wrongly they had no choice as too many of them and multiple of tens of millions died because of famine in a number of separate occasions.

Interesting that you live in the US and spend your time lauding the Communist system that has brought China to were it is now.
    There are severe restrictions as to where people can choose to live, you need to show your passport even on domestic flights etc etc.

Look at the millions of people who are forcibly relocated in China for major construction projects like the Three Gorges Dam or the Olympic village all for the benefit of the state do think they could get way with that stuff in any democratic country?..

satman40 likes this.
  12. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Canada there is Via Rail. If only they were able to take away more business from airlines to help increase the competition.

I always enjoy to hear stories about healthy competition that favours consumers. I am also curious to see how airlines will react to this news.

canucklehead and satman40 like this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, my wife came over here to get away from that, and yet we have became that way.

When Obama got in she went out and bought gold, and a gun.

Both countries have their faults, and I have over 70 years to look back on. I find it sad the SS many live on after working 40 plus years, and to see others who never worked enjoying supplemental housing, and food stamps, while even their SS is being taxed.

Let's see how the next generation does, with everyone on welfare, with no need to work, and our birth rate is government supplemented, with total lack of family guidance, with one parent households.

I have been to the Olympic Village, and even today a lot of people still visit, and no one over there has even ask me for any form of ID after entry.

Just like the Indians of old says that use to be our land, where the buffalo roamed, not too many years ago.

I have been in both countries, and have relation in both countries.
    Again both have their faults, I agree.

14. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has there ever been a proposal for a (Windsor)-Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal HSR? Or these days, Edmonton-Calgary?

15. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just like many things in the political world, there is always lots of talk and no action.

In terms of high speed train, I only really hear about Montreal and Toronto. I don't hear too much about the other cities for VIA Rail options.

For Calgary and Edmonton, there are other proposals in place, but no related to VIA Rail.

canucklehead likes this.
  16. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone Here knows of a reliable website to pre-book online high speed train from PEKING-Shanghai ??? as i have a family trip coming up in july and would like to have everything tied up... Thanks for any info:)