Children discounts for award tickets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MightyTravels, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MightyTravels

MightyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't gotten much feedback on FLyertalk - so Milepoint members I count on you - maybe we can compile a list for this topic (haven't found anything in Google yet):

For all family travelers like me - which airlines/ awards have kids discounts?

So far I assumed all award tickets are the same (and offer no discount).

Today I realized Miles & More (LH, Swiss) offers a 25% miles discount for kids 2-11 on all award tickets.

Who else does that?

2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know US has some discount for children aged 2-14 and another rate for infants in-seat. And another for lap child - I assume those may be free domestically. Not sure, I've no children of my own. :)

You may want to request a mod change the title of this thread if you intend to compile a list of carriers offering child discounts on revenue tickets. As you already assume, I don't think anyone provides discount award tickets - except for the 10% of international fare infant ticket though that's still a revenue fare, not an award.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lap children (under 24 months) fly free on US domestically, even on award tickets. I know as I recently booked a trip with our 1 year old. They don't allow you to book the award flight online though. You have to book it then call and have them add the child to the reservation manually.

4. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beware, on complex international premium awards on multiple carriers, the taxes/fees for infants can really add up. Even when its only 10% of the fare.

5. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many lap children can a couple have? Former boss had triplets and traveled with them in Y (with her husband and/or nanny), getting the bulkhead and admitting pity for other passengers on the flight. I didn't ask if she paid fare for one or more of the kids or not. Probably not if they were in Y.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it, every carrier accepts one lap child per passenger 18 years old or older. It'd make sense that as they're lap children, you need a lap per child... :)

Seems appropriate to me since kids will have to be restrained somehow during takeoff and landing. People that have 3-4 infants -- or more (!) -- should probably just stay home for a while. :)

cordray2643 likes this.
  7. MightyTravels

MightyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe - we always took our twins with us - several times RTW. You can't ask me to stay home so many years :)

Flying with the extended family can really eat up miles - 3 kids & parents and nanny and those award miles are eaten up in a heartbeat - so discounts are great!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They shouldn't have been able to all sit in the bulkhead. My understanding is that the rule is one lap kid per row because otherwise there wouldn't be enough oxygen masks in an emergency.

cordray2643 likes this.
  9. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lap children may be limited due to the oxygen mask availability.

10. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely correct, max of one lap infant per row. However, on some planes there are rows that don't even have an additional oxygen mask, and thus can have no lap infants. Here is an example from Alaskan Airways:
    Because of the location of extra oxygen masks, only one lap infant is permitted per row (including both sides of aisle) on Alaska Airlines flights 001-999. On Alaska Airlines flights 2000-2999, only one lap infant per even numbered row (including both sides of the aisles) is allowed. On Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499, one lap infant is allowed per row on the right side of the aircraft only.