Chicago's Elysian Hotel Turning Into a Waldorf Astoria

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Jimgotkp, Nov 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker, Quasiconvexity and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stunning news, at first this hotel was a member of LHW, than this hotel had a hard time finding it's niche in the market and now with a new owner it turns into a WA property. Excellent and dramatic at the same time, seeing the short history of this hotel.;)

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I feel the owner should just keep it as a boutique considering it received all these awards recently. We shall see how WA's management team does to maintain this property.I guess I shouldn't complain since I will be able to redeem HHonors points at this property instead of doling out $400+ per night.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waldorf Astoria can be a boutique operator, they have just announced the opening for a 94 bedroom 6-townhouse hotel in Amsterdam for 2013.

Back to the Elysian, it is all about brand recognition and WA has momentum right now and slowly grows into stature as a leader in the Luxury segment. On the other side the Elysian has never really found its niche despite winning all the fabled industry awards they could, meaning, the travel industry loves them while many people avoided the hotel and with a brand as WA and of course HHonor membership in which you // all future guests can earn // burn points that's seems to be a completely different outcome for this hotel and should increase the number of guests in the future. For WA it is nothing unusual to operate some of the most expensive properties in the world, so it will be nothing unusual to manage this property as a top priced // top service property in the future IMHO.

Quasiconvexity and Jimgotkp like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate your feedback. Hopefully, they make this into a pretty property than what it originally was...

uggboy likes this.
  6. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish SPG's Luxury Collection had taken over the Elysian. SPG lacks a truly upscale property in Chicago and this would have made a nice addition to their LC brand. With the current Hilton re-categorization of rooms for redemption that has left many people unhappy, I think an SPG takeover may have made this hotel a better redemption value.

dc_traveler, Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine how tough it is being a new, unaffiliated hotel.

I can't see Zell sacking management...at least at first. The chain affiliation will help fill more rooms...but at what cost? The hotel only has one way to go...

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  8. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping it's eligible for Hilton bookings by late March so I can use some Q4 Free Night certs

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.