Chicago

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sfo1, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    11 of us dined at Diplomat Cafe yesterday for lunch. Diplomat Cafe is Chicago's only Georgian restaurant.

Our group really enjoyed the Badrijani Nigvzit, thin strips of roasted eggplant wrapped around walnut garlic paste, finished with some pomegranate.

The pickled veggies were delicious, especially the tomato.

The lamb stew Chakapuli, had a very pronounced lamb flavor which I & some others enjoyed but I'd say stay clear if one is just so-so with lamb. The stew did have a good amount of fat which had some been strained off would have elevated this dish.

Our group only ordered the Penovani Khachapuri (cheese). It was tasty but not a highlight.

Mtsvadi ground beef kabob was ok, no real char and lacking spice.

We tried both the meat and the mushroom versions of khinkali, the meat version was very meh, the mushroom version was heaven, tons of flavor, if you are a mushroom fan this is a must.

Chicken Tabaka was cooked nicely (crisp skin & juicy meat), nicely spiced, didn't come with any blackberry sauce and the "creamy" garlic I really wouldn't call creamy but whoa boy is sure garlicky. I personally enjoyed a bit of the garlic with the nice chili heat sauce on the chicken.

Lamb chops were quite good.

Restaurant is still BYOB, one of the group brought some bottles of red Georgian wine that are purported to be Stalin's favorite. Wine was certainly sweet.

Can't say I'm going to rush back but as the weather gets colder, I'll be back to try more.

Chicago Diplomat Cafe
    3134 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60657
    http://chicagodiplomatcafe.com
    -