Chicago

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sfo1, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried Parsons Hot Chicken Sandwich. It's a crispy fried, brined, boneless breast, that is then dipped in Parson's house hot sauce, then topped with slaw, American cheese, aioli, pickles.

It was quite a tasty sandwich, I look forward to trying a chicken dinner.

Side note: looks like an AWESOME courtyard area to enjoy during nice weather.

Parson's Chicken & Fish
    2952 W Armitage Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647-3972 773-384-3333
    http://www.parsonschickenandfish.com/
    -

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had read somewhere that Big Star was going to have Sonoran style hot dogs for a day. If you've ever been to Tucson AZ, the Sonoran dogs served there are sublime. So I was excited to see a Sonoran dog in the Chicago area.

Big Star's version wasn't close to the Sonoran dogs of Tucson, (bun was too big, far too much mayo/mustard, not enough beans). That said I did finish it and was pleased.

Side note, really loud music, most of it was stuff I really like but would be really difficult to have a conversation. If you dislike hipsters, stay away.

Big Star
    1531 N Damen Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622-1906
    773-252-7767
    http://www.bigstarchicago.com/
    -

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Willie has a conf/training going on this weekend 1/2 block from Northwestern University Hospital campus. We had grand plans to take the water taxi from Michigan Ave to Chinatown but after a very long day, she was in the mood for something very local.

We ended up at The Windsor @ 160 E Huronhttp://thewindsorchicago.com/
    For the record, happy hour is from 3-6pm Mon-Fri.

Had 3 starters:
    Smoked Trout Dip - served with saltine crackers and some sliced Fresno chilies and scallions

Special of the Day starter of crisped pork belly sliders, served on sweet buns with tomato jam

K Town Short Ribs - two thin slices of grilled marinated short rib (bone in) done Korean BBQ style served with an Asian style slaw.

Each and every item was terrific, we were just pleased as could be.

The Windsor
    160 E Huron
    Chicago IL

uggboy likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dined at GT Fish & Oyster.

Indeed the oysters are prepped with quite the skill, 2 dozen and not one bit of shell and lots of liquor present.

Oyster slider (fried oyster, kim chi, peanuts on bun) is now $5 per, I enjoyed it but would have liked a larger oyster, say like the gulf of Mexico slab oysters one gets in New Orleans. I'd line up for a meal of those all night long.

The $5 hit for our table and for me one of the best bites of 2017 was the GT “DEVILED EGG” smoked salmon, cauliflower, preserved meyer lemon. Wow what a flavor bomb.

We enjoyed the COLD GREEN TEA SOBA NOODLES with shrimp, tofu, bok choy, thai chili soy vinaigrette. The tofu was in small cube format and had been deep fried to give a warm cheese curd effect, really a nice addition. The soy vinaigrette had good flavor with decent heat.

Mom had the FISH & CHIPS beer battered cod, dill pickle remoulade, steak fries, malt vinegar. Didn't get to try any of the fish so I'm assuming she enjoyed. Steak fries were loaded with salt so if sodium sensitive stay away. That said, she did take them home "I'll scrape off the salt & make something with them" [​IMG]

Pop had the smoked fish platter and the clam chowder. He enjoyed both, I don't think either was a wow for him.

I know this is blasphemy at a place like GT, but I had ROASTED LAMB SHANK w/ roasted cauliflower, eggplant puree & Moroccan flat bread. The flat bread was actually store bought pita cut in half. The lamb was cooked perfect however the Moroccan "BBQ" sauce over it was overly sweet, there were some spice notes trying to come out but I found the sauce to be very cloying.

Mrs Willie chose the OCTOPUS prepared korean BBQ, bok choy, crosnes, peanuts. EXCELLENT dish, prepared perfect, just not much of it, very small portion.

Service was very attentive and warm w/o being overbearing. Mrs Willie & I will be back for more of the raw oysters, the octopus and that egg.

Side note, maybe because it was a Friday and it is the fashionable River North area, the music was very loud, something to consider if that's not the atmosphere you are looking for. (and another thing, "Get off my lawn!!") :)

GT Fish & Oyster
    531 N. Wells St.
    Chicago, IL 60654
    312-929-3501
    http://gtoyster.com/
    -

uggboy likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    having never been to Carnivale, Mrs Willie & I decided to give it a try prior to seeing "Linda Vista" at the Steppenwolf (go by the way, Tracy Letts has done it again)

Carnivale is an explosion of color, atmosphere is very fun.

Started out with drinks on the patio as it was near 80 degrees, just crazy warm. I had PISCO PASSION - Pisco brandy, passionfruit, fresh lime juice, egg white. I'd order again easy. Mrs Willie the RUNNING OF THE BULLS - Pinnacle vodka, pink guava puree, fresh lime juice, Red Bull Yellow Edition, this is not the type of drink she or I normally order, it was good but the Pisco was much better as was the OLD CUBAN -
    Flor de Caña 7 year rum, fresh mint, lime, angostura bitters, cava, which I had later during the meal.

Started out with the CEVICHE TASTING
    MIXTO -Poached shrimp, calamari, octopus, glass noodles, poblano citrus sauce, peanuts
    BLUE CRAB - Avocado, key lime, red onion, cilantro, aioli, soda crackers
    TUNA - Cucumber, red onion, cilantro, beech mushrooms, coconut, fish sauce, ginger, tostada
    SHRIMP - Lightly poached gulf shrimp, watermelon, gochujang, basil, sesame

We really enjoyed these ceviche with the star being the Tuna & the shrimp

SPANISH OCTOPUS - Garbanzo purée, crispy potatoes, frisée, Spanish paprika, Kalamata olives

Very skimpy on the octopus serving, cooked perfectly though, very good.

EMPANADA DE VERDE - Crispy green plantain crust, artichoke, spinach, mushroom escabeche

Empanada was all grease, not good at all, ate less than 1/2 of it. Mushroom escabeche was quite tasty. Server was very nice & took this off the bill for us as we clearly didn't enjoy it overall.

ARRACHERA - Wood-grilled skirt steak, rice and beans, bacon sofrito, sweet red onion, chimichurri sauce

Steak was oddly cooked, some just barely rare and other parts near well done. The few pieces that were MR were quite tasty. Rice & beans were not that appealing.

So overall we had a good time and enjoyed, we'd go back for the ceviche and to try some other items, just won't be in hurry.

Carnivale
    702 W Fulton St
    Chicago, IL 60661
    Phone: 312.850.5005
    http://www.carnivalechicago.com/
    -

uggboy likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was at the Cubs game last night, prior to the game Mrs Willie & I stopped by Bernie's which is just across the street (Clark) from NW corner of Wrigley Field.

Terribly overcooked burgers, gray with no moisture or pink at all. $10. Waste of money. Next time I'll stick with a hot dog at Wrigley.

Bernie's Tap & Grill
    3664 N Clark St
    Chicago, IL
    https://www.bernieschicago.com/

uggboy likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for Szechuan cuisine at a restaurant that is BYOB? On the far north side of Chicago, here's the place:

A Bite of Szechuan
    5657 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773-878-8577
    11am to 10pm
    Closed Mondays

A group of 6 of us frequent travelers dined last night at Bite of Szechuan.

Pork with Garlic Sauce and Spicy & Sour soup were the big hits with our group, followed by Zhong dumplings and soybean sprouts w/leeks.

Chicken in chili oil was good and I enjoy meat on the bone but there were tiny bone bits in copious amount.

Spicy & Sour soup is more commonly referred to as hot/sour soup at most places I've been. This version served here is fantastic, best by a wide margin.

Pork in Garlic Sauce, the dumplings and Chicken in Chili Oil were lathered in chili oil. I was surprised with the chili oil dishes at how luxurious the sauce was but there was no real heat that I could detect. It was delicious, just didn't have any heat.

Lotus Root "chips" were good as well. Sliced lotus root w/Szechuan spice

Our group came away at $9 per person which included tip, we'll be back for sure to try other items.

Here is a review by the Chicago Reader:
    http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...ogers-park-dingguo-cheng/Content?oid=25941077
    -

uggboy and legalalien like this.