Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by john.stuart, Nov 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Hey guys,
    I am planning to have a fun time as well as try a chunk of the best dining in each of the cities of New York, Chicago and San Francisco.
    I am arriving via Dubai (thinking of staying at One and Only) via emirates or not via Dubai on Air New Zealand on June 26th.

I live was born in London and just moved for my new job in New Zealand and love learning about the country.
    In New York I am planning to stay at Mandarin Oriental or The Ritz Carlton.
    I will be seeing American Museum of Natural History, Bronx Zoo, Brooklyn Museum, The Met,Museum of Modern Art and Statue of Liberty.
    I will be dining at Aska, Jungsik, Brooklyn Fare, 11 Madison, Brushstroke and Momofuku Ko.
    I have heard a lot about Book of Mormon, Pippin, Cinderella and Kinky Boots.
    I will be going to Chicago on the 3rd

I'm planning on arriving to Chicago , and planning on seeing the following Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum, Art Institute, Field Museum , Shedd Aquarium and Lincoln Park Zoo.
    I am thinking of eating at Tru, Grace, Aliena , Sixteen and North Pond but am happy to eat at more cheap and ethnically diverse places as well. I will go from Chicago on the 8th.
    The I will be going to San Francisco on the 8th and seeing Alcatraz Island, California Academy of Sciences , de young, ferry buildings and market, the Exploratorium.
    I will be eating at Luce Songs and Daughters Coi Atiler Creen and State Bird Provisions.
    On the 15th I will be going to Las Vegas and seeing O and Mystere do you have any cirque show suggestions.
    I think my route needs to be way more compact do you have any help, should I see Washington D.C , Vancouver, Toronto, Philli , Boston etc.
    I also would love to spend some time in a place of fantasy.
    regards

Sweet Willie and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going anywhere near Chicago and (obviously) need to eat, I'd strongly suggest checking Sweet Willie's posts. He's our foodie guru of Chicago and had I not had such a short layover in ORD earlier this week, I would have begged him to take me restaurant-hopping.

Peruse through here to get the inside scoop from the Willster himself.

Welcome to MP. :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. I looked up the Michelin guide but would love pizza and good fast food as well.

4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie covers the cheap to the fancy, and he reports factually about what's good food and what's not regardless of price. Peruse through the thread I linked and you'll find a wealth of information regardless of your budget. :)

I love Faneuil Hall in Boston and the surrounding culinary areas...such great restaurants in such a small area. Are you after any particular cuisine?

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I linked you to quality Chicago eateries from the cheap to the fancy $$$$$. Perhaps if you could tell us specifically what you are looking for we could be of better assistance.

6. cutting edge dining

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This statement leads me to believe you are open for suggestions, hence why I included a link to several reviews for you. Regardless, enjoy your trip.

8. I am looking for take away places where you can order great food such as a food truck.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie (the link I added) offers tips to Italian, Ethiopian, Chinese, and many other cuisines from fancy dining to food trucks at variable prices. If you look through his thread I linked, you will find great restaurants for Chicago.

If English is not your first language, you may want use a translator for his thread so you don't miss out.

What is your native language? I could post translations for you.

Chinese:
    你说中国话吗?

iolaire likes this.
  10. Okay thank you read it and go the suggestions and am looking at dining accordingly. I would love to stay at Trump Chicago and Mandarin Oriental in New York and Fairmont San Francisco. Where would you recommend

11. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Las Vegas: Boston Pizza was very good. Eat in or delivery (45 minute delivery time)
    In Chinese: 拉斯维加斯:Boston Pizza 的非常好。吃或交付(45分钟交货时间)

12. Um its very nice for you translate a document but I do not speak Chinese in any shape or form. I am not sure why you think I speak Chinese. I speak English and only a tiniest bit of German. So please write in English.

13. I wrote best Chinese as in the best Chinese food just to clarify ? etc

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's significantly better pizza in LAS. On the strip, there is the secret pizza place inside Cosmo as well as Five Pizza Bar at Aria. If you're willing to drive to Summerlin (15 mins), Rocco's is great. Rocco's actually rivals some NY pizza places I used to frequent.

15. I really want to concentrate on NYC, Chicago and San Fran. I have a lot of upscale dining which I love but would like someone to message me the favourite dining or put on here. You must have a favourite burger , favourite dumpling , pizza etc

16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    @AdamAlex, you've asked these questions before, then got upset with some of the answers and left. Now you're back under a false handle?

18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the kind words @MSYgirl , Had I been free I would have been happy to go restaurant hopping. Last summer we had a progressive Vietnamese restaurant dinner, dined on the 'greatest hits' at 4 different restaurants, simply walked from restaurant to restaurant.

Then there was the all nighter Sweet Willie southside tour, full of eats, drinks and ended up at a blues bar, @Flying Machine was on that one:)

Open invite to anyone laid over or with a bit of time at ORD, I live 3 miles north and have taken many a traveler out for a bite to eat/drink, then deposited the traveler back at ORD.

iolaire and Betty Boop like this.
  19. Its been intresting year for the hotels @Michelin guide in Chicago with Sixteen getting two and the lobby getting one

20. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The RT for $200-260 to ORD was staring at me on the AA home page. Now I will have the battle in my brain that argues about taking trips just for food. :confused:

Sweet Willie likes this.
  21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I could get <$600 ORD-SIN RTs, I used to go to SIN for 30 hours (sometimes 6) and spend most of my time dining & searching out dining.:D

MSYgirl likes this.
  22. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well.. that Sweet Willie Tour needs to be booked in advance and with proper notice. I think its the #2 rated tour on Tripadvisor.. Book Quickly :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  23. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks sweet Willie maybe I'll give you a call sometime I do Pass through Chicago. In January I'll be in Chicago on my way back from Cabo Mexico. Me know if it's okay to contact you