Chicago Hotel Chain Fined for Allowing Hispanic Employees to be Harrassed

Discussion in 'ORD/MDW | Chicago Area Airports' started by sobore, May 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews...llowing-hispanic-employees-to-be-harras/7527/

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announced today that a federal judge has entered a $195,000 consent decree to resolve a national origin harassment lawsuit brought by the agency against the Hilton Lisle/Naperville Hotel in Lisle, Ill.
    In its lawsuit, EEOC charged that the Hilton Lisle/Naperville violated federal law by subjecting Hispanic employees in the hotel kitchen to offensive comments. Specifically, the EEOC charged that the hotel’s executive chef regularly referred to Hispanic employees as “s—cs” and “wetbacks.”
    The three-year consent decree resolving the suit, approved by District Judge Edmund Chang yesterday, May 5, 2011, provides that $195,000 in monetary relief, which includes attorney’s fees, be distributed among two employees who filed charges of discrimination with EEOC and another additional employee.

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they fired the executive chef and others who did act on the complaints.

3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

Question? Why is this in the ORD/MDW Chicago Are Airports thread? Naperville isn't near either airport.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicago area news. Chicagoland stretches many miles out from the airports.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm aware of that, but I was under the impression that this particular forum was about the Chicago area airports and related news of those ORD/MDW airports. I thought topics like this were for the Newsstand or General Discussion-Travel?

Can someone clarify? :)