Chicago-for the first time-Recommendations-3 days

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by free67spirit, Aug 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are going to Wrigley, I am interested in seeing some architecture as well, food? Thanks in advance!

Sweet Willie and YULtide like this.
  2. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're on WS anytime soon the August up magazine has some good recommendations.

3. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Ok, I am sure this is staring me in the face but I am not sure what WS is??? Sorry, still a little new to this. I know I probably will kick myself once you tell me what it is? LOL

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Chicago is a great city for architecture. A few blocks from Wrigley is Alta Vista Terrace. Head downtown, walk down Michigan avenue on the east (lake) side of the street, looking back at the buildings on the west side. (Everyone looks at Millenium Park, I'm suggesting to turn your back on the park and look at the architecture).

Check out the Chicago Architecture Foundation website for lots more ideas.

free67spirit likes this.
  5. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Yes that is the tour a friend recommended we do! Can't wait!

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are interested in baseball, you may want to check out the major league team in Chicago, which is the White Sox ;)

Gargoyle and free67spirit like this.
  7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is also an guided architechtural boat ride in the Chicago River, which provides a unique persepctive on the great buildings there....enjoy!

frankmu likes this.
  8. frankmu

frankmu Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this a few years ago, and I agree! It's a laid back way to see Chicago.

FlyingFree likes this.
  9. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wendella does a great tour. I have done the tour a few times.

10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Art Smith's Table Fifty-Two for lunch or dinner is a great meal IMHO... had lunch (Sunday brunch actually) there the last time I was in Chicago a couple of months ago,

11. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Of course, we have tickets to the white sox(going to see Kevin Youkilis) we are originally from Boston :) and of course going to catch a a Cubs game!

FlyingFree likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you are planning on writing up a trip report on Chicago as that is the forum you started this thread in:D
    The Chicago Architecture Foundation offers the best (in my opinion) architechtural river cruise, the details of this cruise and some food recommendations can be found in the Chicago thread from the Dining Forum: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/chicago.17802/

If you share some likes/dislikes, it helps focus the recommendations on items that will appeal to you. (i.e. are you an active type person? (like walks, jogs), are you a museum type person?, are you looking for white tablecloth dining?, dining unique to Chicago?, price points? Cuisine? etc etc, also what hotel are you staying at?)

13. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here are my quick food suggestions:

Nice Dinner - Berghoff in the Loop. It's one of the places I always visit. Good food and great house brewed great beer.
    Pizza - I prefer Giordano's over Lou Malnatie's but ask at your hotel to see if they've got any great coupons (Hilton Chicago does a free dessert at Malnatie's)
    Fast Food - Portillo's is pretty great. There are a bunch all over town.

I'm sure I proved to many of y'all that I don't live in Chi-town, but it's a start.

frankmu and Sweet Willie like this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's why I have to jump in re: the following::)
    It is Lou Malnati's. There is also a HUGE difference between the two pizza places (discussed in the Chicago food thread quoted above, they actually produce two VERY different types of deep dish)

BuckleandBoots and catgirl like this.
  15. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, very different deep dish pizzas. :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  16. free67spirit

Status Points:
    It can't hurt to try both. LOL I will be OFF THE DIET that weekend!

catgirl likes this.
  17. free67spirit

Status Points:

I have a wealth of info and I am grateful. I am leaving in the am and will report back. I see the weather does not look like it is going to cooperate. oh well-I will still have a great time!!

18. free67spirit

Status Points:
    HELP! Ok,feeling a little dumb-not sure what I am doing wrong-I can't find any of the recommendations that were made to me. It also included how to take the L from Midway to our hotel. What am I doing wrong??

19. free67spirit

Status Points:
    If anyine can guide me I would be most appreciative. I can't find all the recommendations that were given to me for Chicago and I am here an hungry. PLease let me know what I am doing wrong and how I can find th rest of the posts. I know initially I jumped in on somebody else's post who stated they were coming here. I thought I followed the thread but nothing. Help! Italian,american-a restauarant I should not leave town without eatiing at. Breakfast???? Thanks and sorry!

20. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
  21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope the link that JNB280 posted above helped. I've been on vaca & I do my best not to log on while on vaca, so sorry I couldn't be of help this past holiday weekend.

22. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    AIA runs some great tours include the Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in Oak Park; boat tour is a must because it's only a matter of time before the lock gets closed forever -- (because of Asian Carp issue).

Our favorite place to eat is Miller's Pub near the Palmer House, second favorite is in Marshall Fields -- only because they're a throw back to a different, more civil era.

DTWBOB

23. free67spirit

Status Points:
    Ok, I am hoping all you seasoned veterans get a a good laugh from me being an absolutely ditz. I looked and looked for all the great info that was given to me for my trip to Chicago. I kept finding the same posts over and over again but did not know where the missing posts were. Well I am back and tired and I found those posts tonight and where were they you ask????? On FLYERTALK. Oh boy!!! LMAO Oh well I promise to regroup and report on my trip which was fabulous but it was impossible to get everything in.

Gargoyle likes this.