Chicago airports

Discussion in 'ORD/MDW | Chicago Area Airports' started by Gargoyle, Feb 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On a KLM ORD-AMS flight in Feb. 2015. Two things jumped out at me, one in particular.

meigs.jpg

jbcarioca, Newscience, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's an airport on Northerly Island? :D And, what happened to the Chicago Executive Airport?

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yup, you caught both. As to Northerly Island, well, "X" marks the spot...

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, guys. No quibble about Northerly but the airport code is PWK so it's still Palwaukee to regular flyers there. It ain't in Chicago, anyway!
    OTOH, Orchard Field does not remain even though there may be an apple seed or two deep under the asphalt. The moment it was paved was transformational. It's still ORD.
    My personal favourite Chicago area airport always was Miegs (CGX). Landing there one could be at Continental bank or First National bank in five minutes or so on foot. Somewhere I have photos of me landing there for the first time in my Piper Seneca V, IIRC. I really hate that the mayor closed it by stealth in 2003.

It's good that PWK and CGX remain aline somewhere, even if only on outdated charts. Thanks for posting this, Gargoyle.

flyforawg, legalalien and milchap like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No way. At least 8 minutes, even if you caught the green light/walk sign crossing LSD.

6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took my flight lessons at PWK, so PWK - CGX was one of the first routes to fly (1980 Beechcraft C23 Sundowner was the plane of choice), though we mostly did low approach instead of actual landing (which was pricey).

Gargoyle, milchap and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    What horrible exaggeration on my part! IIRC I did make 1st Chicago consistently in five minutes. Maybe I walked faster than you did. Of course, I admit, I has to secure the airplane before leaving so it probably really took about 20 minutes.

flyforawg, milchap and Gargoyle like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did my LR-JET type rating partly there (it was done on a long cross country for business with the examiner acting as copilot. We did all the low approaches and misses at PWK in actual IFR. I will never forget that one!

Gargoyle and legalalien like this.