Chedi Hotel (The) Chiang Mai Thailand (GHM Hotels)

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by TRAVELSIG, Aug 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week I was fortunate to have chosen to stay at the Chedi in Chaing Mai for three nights- I do like GHM hotels, and despite my concerns of choosing this hotel vs. the MO or the Four Seasons, the Chedi was excellent.

The physical property is beautiful, and the club suites are large and well furnished. The added benefits of complimentary mini-bar, excellent in-room espresso machine, fast free internet, and complimentary laundry (7 pc/day) really are a plus.

The location is also good as it is close to most offices and also leisure activities including the night market, the old city etc. The one drawback is that there is some noise from traffic which can be heard in the rooms- my guess is that the only way to avoid this (it is not that loud) would be to stay at the FS or MO which are not in the centre of the city.

Staff are excellent- the restaurant is great- and the Spa is one of the best in Thailand.

I will be returning shortly for sure...

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great hotel, GHM are design driven, the Chedi is no exception here, and location-wise, at least from our point of view it is better to stay in the city centre and choose to explore or relax! Thanks for the great insights!:)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to stay in the city centre, the three best options are Chedi (Number one), LeMeridien (Number two), and Shangri-La (Number three) with Dusit D2 being an option if you want design and half the price of the Chedi. In any event the restaurant at D2 is fantastic- well worth visiting even if you are not staying there. Chedi is ranking as one of my best hotels in Asia- not only design but also excellent staff and management.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Price-wise and Design-wise the Le Meridien should compare rather well with the Chedi, at least that's what we felt from the pictures // descriptions // rates on their website.

How are the normal rooms at the Chedi, away from the Clubrooms? I like what's all included in the Clubroom offering here, but there is a hefty price difference from around 50 to 60% against normal rooms here at the Chedi, any thoughts about the suitability of more entrance category style rooms?

Thanks again for the insights, on other thing, the Chedi is part of The Leading Hotels of the World organization, have you booked through LC and received all the benefits? When we would book an entrance category room and would be LC members we would get an upgrade // when offered // free breakfast and free internet // late check-out // early check-in considerations.

The Shangri-La how is this property in Chiang Mai, seems to be more low-key than other locations where the chain has opened hotels recently, it must be much more traditional compared to the Le Meridien or The Chedi!

D2 by Dusit Hotels, have seen a lot of pics over the years from this hotel and heard a lot of buzz, can only imagine that it is interesting from their color scheme and other offerings, thanks for letting us know about the D2's restaurant, excellent recommendation, have not thought about this before.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Design wise Le-Meridien is nice- however it doesn't compare with being right on the river- and also the structure is new vs. the incorporation of the ex-British Consulate at the Chedi which is fabulous (and I don't use words like fabulous very often).

Club rooms are >55 square metres. I did see a normal room, and they are good as well- however the benefits definitely make up the savings especially if you can find the stay 3, pay for 2 offer which is running at the moment.

I did book through LHW and I am an LC member for quite a few years- the only benefit was late check out as I arrived after 15:00 and the rate I booked already included everything else- and there was no upgrade category as I was already booked in a suite. Late checkout no problem at all (I only need until 13:30 as I was on the 14:50 flight to BKK).

Shangri-La is a bit further out of the way from the Night Market but still easy walking distance (maybe 10 minutes). It is a big hotel and IIRC was built to target the MICE market so I wouldn't stay there for a holiday although if you are working in Chiang Mai it is a perfectly reasonable option and you will be happy with it- also excellent value as the rates typically are very low for a Shangri-La- they also have good recognition here if you are a member of the Shangri-La Golden Circle program.

LeMeridien on club level is a good choice also- however knowing the Chedi is only two blocks away it would be a bit sad to choose LM in this city (I really like the LM in Chiang Rai however).

If you want one more restaurant choice- a great vegetarian option is Whole Earth which is walking distance from any of the 4 hotels I have mentioned in this thread- be sure to book as it is frequently full (Has both Thai and Indian cuisine in a beautiful restored teak Thai house).

FlyingFree and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you so much!:)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two more suggestions:
    1) Get the Luxe City Guide to Chiang Mai
    2) Get the Nancy Chandler Map

uggboy likes this.
  8. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to both Chedi and LM. Chedi feels slightly more special, although the outside corridors facing heavy CM traffic is not exactly ideal. LM can get a little impersonal, especially sometimes it receives tour groups. The food offering in LM Club Lounge is a bit underwhelming in my book, but the rooms/suites are nicely done.

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for even more interesting insights into Chiang Mai's hospitality giants!:)

10. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be in Chiang Mai in one month...thanks for the helpful suggetions...anyone have any favorite food stalls or carts???

uggboy likes this.
  11. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My absolute favorite place in CM is JUST KHAO SOI. It's not a food stall or cart -- it's a simple restaurant in the city center -- but I absolutely adore their khao-soi. That's the only thing they serve (2 options) and I am not embarrassed to say that one time we went twice in one day for their khao-soi. Can not wait until December to return!

FlyingFree, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    No reason to be embarrassed: if you want to check out KHAO SOI, "Just Khao Soi" in CM is one of the best places to do so! I like it also and great location.

uggboy likes this.