CheckPoint Friendly bags in Europe?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by FlyingBear, Apr 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there such a thing? I thought I saw some sort of a reference of that sort for one of the Lufthansa bags in their Worldshop catalog, but could not find it online. Of course, the other question that comes with it is does Europe even have CheckPoint Friendly type of thing at all?

Newscience and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on what your airport of origin, you might have luck. (It doesn't help that depending on where you connect, you may pass thru security again.) It's been about 25/75 for me persuading the X-ray operator that I actually didn't have to take the laptop for them to be able to see properly. I have 2 Tumi bags that are TSA friendly, but abroad I haven't seen that reference. Keep in mind my last international travel was in January, so thing could have changed. It would be nice as I usually travel with 1 or 2 laptops and an iPad.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with gregm. I went through FRA 3 weeks ago, to return to IAD. Everyone took their computer out of their carry-on bag. And everyone was given a pat-down, after walking through a detector, without exception. Unless you can avoid this entire scene by being an ultra-elite, I suspect that "CheckPoint Friendly" is a TSA-only concept. However, I'll gladly be corrected on this.

gregm likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know I've never seen that at checkpoints, it's just the blurb for the bag that got me wondering.

5. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was asked to take my laptop out of my "checkpoint friendly" bag at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago.

If memory serves, they let me leave the laptop in the bag when I leave Canada. It works really well domestically in the US.

The other advantage is that even when they make you take the laptop out, because the compartment has to be completely separate, it's always easy to take it out too.

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the US, a 'TSA Friendly" bag allows for the X-ray of the [laptop] contents unobstructed by anything, i.e. power cords, zippers, etc. If I have to take everything out abroad, it makes me worry that I won't get everything back! Theft at these checkpoints is not uncommon. A closed zipper is one more piece of insurance I'd like to have.

Menashe likes this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no unified procedure across Europe for carryons. At LHR, they wanted to gatecheck my carryon airside no less while changing planes as a transit pax; In CDG, things seem to be better in terminal 2F than 2E. Some want shoes off, some don't. Some want wristwatch off if it has metal, some dont.

Some seek a snowden behind anyone wearing eye glasses, some don't :)

gregm likes this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am quite familiar that there is no unified procedure for clothes, etc., Not so obvious with computers. Even in PreCheck lines I sometimes have to remind them that I do not need to take my laptop out. Like I mentioned, the question was based on the advertisement of a particular luggage, not on the procedures.

9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is all kind of like when shoe makers were labeling shoes "TSA friendly," mistakenly thinking that just because shoes didn't have metal in them they were "friendly" (this was about 10 years ago).

Nobody, including Canadians, know the concept of a "checkpoint friendly" bag. To many of them, they might be subject to discipline if they let a bag go through in a bag. Even Canada requires the laptop out, no matter how "friendly" the bag may be.

gregm likes this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Advertisements are just that. They want to make $. Manufacturers will tell us anything to get us to buy their product!! :mad:

11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only 'TSA Friendly' shoes are those that don't smell funky when removed!

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, if the TSA wants to look at the shoes, give them the full effect.

gregm likes this.
  13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe that's the case here, just my not knowing what the term they were using meant. It had nothing to do with TSA Friendly, it was a specific term that I no longer recollect.

gregm likes this.