Checking Luggage

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Nov 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never check luggage, have a roller board that fits very nicely in the overhead bins. However on this trip I will be on a CRJ700 and I realize that it will not fit in the overhead bin. I hate checking as I don't need it lost or delayed. Am departing from SEA, so better to gate check it rather than checking pre security, as the chances of it getting on the aircraft are better when gate checked?

2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, check it planeside. You'll get it back planeside.

edekba and sfo1 like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if you don't get it back plane side, you save having to stand in line to check it.

DTWBOB

edekba likes this.
  4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't get this question. What does "better" mean in this situation to the OP? Tell us what you're looking for, OP, and we can help you.

There's almost never a chance of a "better" experience checking the bag with the front counter instead of planeside. Risk of losing your bag is exponentially increased if you check it at the front counter. If you check it planeside there's almost no chance of it being lost.

-Rob

edekba and sfo1 like this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought that getting it back airside is only when there is no airbridge that is used, otherwise it goes to baggage claim, in this instance it would be SFO and I don't mind waiting for it at baggage claim.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better means less chance of having problems if I gate check it.
    I agree with what your saying.

7. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you "valet-check" a bag planeside and your arrival gate has an airbridge, the baggage handlers will deliver the bag to you on the airbridge at the end closest to the plane.

sfo1 likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get the green tag then it is returned plane-side or in the jetway. If you get a regular tag it is checked to the final destination baggage claim.

An important distinction.

sfo1 likes this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, gate check it is. Thanks for the advice...

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another reason to gate check... The guys at the gate know that you're able to watch them handle your bag. IME, I have never had a gate checked bag suffer damage or loss. If only I could say the same about non carry-on bags. This year alone it would have saved me enough hours to equal a couple of extra days. And I'm not exaggerating.

In fairness, although I would trade what I got in compensation for not having suffered the grief, they did finally reimburse me for two Briggs and Riley bags. When they broke one of them on my very first trip to use it, they gave me a "loaner" out of their "replacement" inventory. When they took 8 weeks to get it repaired, they gave me the loaner as a gift.

I also got a $300 e-cert for the 9 weeks it took for them to compensate me for the Briggs and Rileys I had to buy as a result of their total destruction of my two older bags. I used it, but it really wasn't enough for all the grief I went through during those nine weeks of broken promises and disappointing expectations.

I check 3 bags everywhere I go, so I admit that I am more likely than most to suffer damage. But their lack of care in handling is a problem, and they seem totally unwilling to address it.

sfo1 likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't you also acknowledged in other threads that you are filling them to the absolute limits with perishable goods?? I'm not so sure the problem is that they are not caring for the bags properly.

genemk2 likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my checked bags is a cooler, and the TSA recently opened it without properly securing it back. That's what you're recalling.

The issues I'm griping about here are UA's running over two of my bags (not the cooler), rendering them useless. Their taking 9 weeks to reimburse me after many, many phone calls and a DOT complaint. Their breaking the handle on a replacement bag on the first trip in which I used it, and the fact that I still don't have it back. (It is at a relative's home in TX, but they promised to deliver it to my home in Costa Rica.)

So your memory isn't entirely faulty, but the rant to which you refer was about a combination of TSA's carelessness and UA's failure to catch it. The issues here are on top of all that. It has been a miserable year for me and my bags.

13. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had a few issues with checked baggage lately. Broken Wheel, Broken Hinge.. Need to go to the Airport and file a repair claim. UA rep gave me a card in EZE to bring my bag back within 45 days ( as I was traveling to my next city same day and they could not repair ) I called and was told all bags go to IAH for repair and could take 6 weeks or more. Gate checking may be an idea for the future. My bag is too big to carry on..