Checking In

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past I have always gone to the UA website to check in and print my boarding pass. On my last two trips I have let UA check me in for my return and email my boarding passes to me. Anyone find any downside to this process?

2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's worked fine for me, so far.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using this for years (since the CO days), and I use it for every trip. It's super convenient, guarantees you're checked in at T-24hrs, and emails you links to the mobile boarding passes (for those of us that can't use the mobile app). You can still change your seats, you just have to go through the check-in process again, since you can't change them on the seats screen of the reservation once the reservation is checked-in, but that's no issue.

sfo1 likes this.
  4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a sporadic bug that will change seats on the return leg. Sometimes knocking you out of E+. Haven't seen it in a few months, though.

The other issue is if you plan SDC'ing, if you're already checked-in sometimes the website/mobile app gives you fits and you have to call. 1 out of every 100 times an agent will tell you that they can't do anything because you're already checked-in. That's nonsense.

snod08, sfo1, genemk2 and 3 others like this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking about SDC since it has been brought up, this can be done only24 hours prior to original flight day of travel? And it can be done on-line or do you need to call. I have a flight to SFO departing around 1830 and I would like to leave earlier if I can, this is not until August however.

6. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always try online first. If that fails, for whatever reason, call-in. SDCs are one of the best things about the Mileage Plus program.

It can be done within 24 hours of originally scheduled departure. So, at 1830 on the day before your booked flight, go in to either the website or the mobile app and select "change flight" and it will give you options. It's a SDC if you see the cost is $0 to change.The SDC doesn't necessarily require the same routing. For example if you're going SFO - ABQ you could SDC to SFO - LAX/DEN/IAH - ABQ if you wanted to. The only restriction is the same fare class needs to be available.

Just be warned that you're most likely giving up a good seat, not going to get the upgrade, and there's a chance the SDC won't be possible -- if any of that matters to you. I, personally, have luck in SDC'ing in about 80% of attempts.

7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help, it's just SEA SFO so I can sit in any seat for that short a distance. On your comment about same fare that would be either for the original routing or another routing, as I do have another one that I might like to change and the would mean a different routing perhaps but same departure and destination cities.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The routing can change during an SDC but (at least officially) the new routing must be valid per the original fare and routing rules. In practice this is poorly enforced, sometimes laughably so, but it is actually what's written in the T&Cs.

Changing the O/D airports is not permitted and that rule is much more strictly enforced (though not 100%).

sfo1 likes this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to you all for the info on the SDC

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hypothetical question: Let's say I have used miles or an instrument to upgrade, and I try to do a SDC. Will it offer me only routes with F availability, put me in E/E+ or a combination of both? I know I'm late to the party, but you guys have me thinking about potential additional mileage earning options on days when my timing is flexible.

11. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will look for the original fare classes booked.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  12. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you don't clear using the instrument support (you generally need to reapply it, which involves a call) it will be auto-credited back into your account within about 72 hours.

This is a noticeable improvement post 3/3 system integration where you'd have to apply to the StoneCutters to get your unused instrument back. Only after they were done rigging the Oscars.