Checking in for Star Alliance international flights?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by sellthesedownfalls, Oct 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm a worrier and a planner (this is probably a simple question):

I have a Star Alliance award ticket to Bangkok in November, and I'm wondering how check-in and bags will be handled.

On the same ticket, I fly:
    United from BWI to SFO
    Asiana from SFO to ICN, ICN to BKK

On the way back I fly:
    Thai Airways from BKK to NRT
    ANA from NRT to ORD
    United from ORD to BWI

When I check in at BWI, will I get my tickets for all my flights to BKK? If I check a bag, will it be checked all the way through?

Same applies on the way back, I guess. Thanks!

YULtide likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the outbound (BWI-SFO-ICN-BKK) they will be able to check you and have your bags tagged to BKK. They should be able to give you the boarding passes for all the flights but if not it shouldn't be too difficult to get your ICN-BKK boarding pass at ICN.

For the inbound (BKK-NRT-ORD-BWI) they can only check your bags to ORD because it's an international to domestic connection. This means you have to recheck your bag after you clear immigration and customs.

iolaire and sellthesedownfalls like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    RE: yes you should get all your tickets, the bag should go through but you may need to pick it up and re-check it at various immigration points.

Nice iten, we are doing relatively the same trip in Nov but lost our Asiana tickets so ended up UA - MUC - LX -> FCO - TG -> BKK -> HKT and lucked out on the return (after a downgrade on CX – which I recently finally canceled) with the SQ opportunity for TG -> HKG - SQ -> SFO - US -> CLT/DCA.

I’m happy with our route but having Asian and ANA both seems like a great trip. ANA in particular seems like it would be an interesting food trip since Japanese food lends itself well to first class dinning. (I’m assuming you got premium class if not trade those US miles for the next trip…)

sellthesedownfalls likes this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the bag can be checked all the way from BKK to BWI on the bag tag. However it will be necessary for you to collect the bag after customs at ORD. And simply put into the through bags area at ORD after you complete customs. You don't have to "recheck" as in get new bag tags, at ORD. It is a simple process.

5. sellthesedownfalls

Status Points:
    I am flying in coach - I'm a newbie and I'd rather fly more often than in luxury, plus I'm traveling with a friend who also on a coach award ticket. :) Maybe later in my life when I have longer in between big trips to store up miles will I fly up front!

Thanks for the info. I'm going with just a backpack, so I'll probably not check anything on the way there, but I'll surely have an extra bag on the way home! :D

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    It’s still exciting in coach. I’ve not looked into the food options but I hope that you get some sort of nice bento box like option at some point.

sellthesedownfalls likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the same question; but my flights are

LAX - SFO; (overnight)
    SFO - ICN - TPE

Do I recollect bags and then next day @ SFO recheck/rescan all bags since its an overnight. Or will my bags be sitting at SFO overnight?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    With an overnight it is more likely that the bags will be delivered to you at SFO.

edekba likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx. I was hoping that. I didnt feel comfortable leaving them sitting at SFO for 18hrs

11. sellthesedownfalls

Status Points:
    edekba, If you see two late-20-somethings on your SFO - ICN flight, one with milepoint tags on her blue backpack (me!), say hi!

edekba likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine is in Dec... and I'll be on a UA flight :(

13. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we flew in from ICN to SFO last week, we had a layover for 11 hours. When we got off the plane, we had to pickup the bags (4 large luggages) and re-checked the bags after going through Customs. When you check in your bags, make sure to ask the ticketing agent about handling of bags at each airport.

edekba likes this.