Checking bags with long LHR layover

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jasher926, Nov 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book a flight on AA from DFW to LHR with a 14 hour layover and then onto DXB via BA. Does anyone know if I will have to re-check bags in LHR with that long of a layover or will my bags magically get checked the whole way through? What is the maximum amount of time between flights before they make you pick-up/re-check bags?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done BA BOS-LHR with a 14 hour layover in LHR then connected on to QF. My bags saw me again when I got to Australia, so I can't imagine this should be a problem for AA to BA. Makes things a lot easier.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have no problem checking through anytime within 12 hours. Officially that is the limit, but longer times do happen when the originating carrier tags the bags.I have done that several times. Thus you probably will be required to recheck your bags. That is not all bad because the baggage connection rates at LHR are among the worst in the world while the point-to-point system seems to be working fairly well recently. If you search on the subject you'll find many horror stories, mostly from 2007-2008, but interlining bags at LHR is pretty poor. After losing five bags doing that I now retrieve my bags and recheck them, which solves that problem. Generally I try hard to avoid LHR, which helps even more.

sobore likes this.
  4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry, but this is almost completely scaremongering tosh.

The BA baggage system in T5 is one of the most sophisticated in the world. The bags will go from AA at T3 and then to T5. At T5, the system the individually stores the bag until aircraft loading starts. The process is automatic. There will be absolutely no problem and there will be no requirement to recheck the bag. If you are relying on horror stories from 2007-2008, then perhaps you need to update your data. The only thing you *might* do to make absolutely sure is to ensure that the tag numbers are showing in the BA system when you get to T5. That is the only possible flaw. Because the process is automated, if the computer isn't looking for the bags to load, they won't get loaded (whatever the tag says). Sometimes, on separate BA tickets or between carriers, the bag tag info is not carried across to the BA system. If that happens, the bags end up staying at T5. It is a very simple thing to check and if you are connecting on anything other than a same-ticket/same-carrier itinerary at any airport in the world, you'd be well advised to take this simple self-help expedient.

Skye1, jasher926 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all know the T5 bagge system is modern and sophisticated. However this is not "scaremongering tosh"
    1) the maximum officially allowed time between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure is 12 hours, not more. The OP has a 14 hour connection. That might work, and might not.
    2) As I am sure you know AA arrives at T3, not T5. That terminal transition for bags requires transition between the baggage system, a frequent problem area.
    3) Without quoting statistics I will only quote my own last three such experiences, which I looked up for this post:
    AA from JFK-LHR connecting to BA LHR-HAM May 2011. My bag did not arrive at HAM and was never recovered. BA gave me the legally required compensation and also a bag, my choice among literally hundreds they had at HAM.
    AA from JFK-LHR connecting to BA LHR-NCE August 2010. As above except that there were two bags and BA NCE offered no replacements.
    AA from MIA-LHR connecting to LHR-DME June 2012. Bag never arrived, but was sent to me at my home two weeks later, empty.

I do not wish to make a histrionic statement, and I know how much BA and LHR defenders hate negative reports. However, facts are important.

jasher926, newbluesea and sobore like this.
  6. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good content guys. I called BA and they said it's a 12 hour limit or else I'll have to recheck. I guess it sounds like I'll have to just see what the gate agents say at check-in? Or maybe just risk it and get baggage insurance through my Visa signature?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're up for the minor inconvenience you could pick up your bags and recheck at T5. That would eliminate the time limit question as well as much of the risk (assuming you believe there is such risk, that is)