checking bags through with airport change

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by mattsteg, May 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming itinerary where my wife and I are flying into CDG in the morning on DL and flying out of ORY in the evening. Will it be possible to check bags through all the way through with the terminal change, or will we need to pick up (store in Paris somewhere for the day) and recheck any checked bags?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My best guess is that you will have to take the bags over to Orly yourself, but I haven't attempted anything like this in a long time and never with DL. However, I wonder why you didn't ticket yourself with the onward connection out of CDG, especially since you have a long layover anyway.

DeltaExpert and mattsteg like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the assumption I've been working under. I think there should be lockers at some RER stations near central Paris (experience with these would be welcome) and the plan is to drop bags there. Would of course be nice to check all the way through if possible.

Destination is RUN which is served out of ORY only, other than air austral afaik. Flight is an award ticket, so we're pretty well locked into the airport change (which other than luggage is a non-issue as we want to spend the time in the city anyway). Layover is somathing like 8am-9pm, so would be heading into the city in any case.

On a separate note, low-key ideas for a 12 hour Paris layover are also appreciated.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your best chances for luggage lockers might be RER stations that are also long distrance train stations, such as Gare du Nord, which unfortunately isn't close to things you'll probably want to see. Can you perhaps check bags at the OrlyBus and in-town air terminal place near the Eiffel Tower? Again I haven't tried recently, but IIRC long ago you could check in there.

For a relaxing day in Paris, I would probably head to a small art museum (Rodin, the old rail station in the 7eme, the newer Picasso over in the 4eme, or the new Baccaret Museum on a small square not far from the Plaza Athenee), walk a bit, maybe stroll through Luxembourg or Tuilleries, sit in a pleasant cafe, and, if the flight isn't going to have a decent dinner, try to eat in a good brasserie or any place open early or throughout the day that isn't overly touristic (which can be difficult in Paris), perhaps a nice wine bar with snacks would work. I've personally always been fond of the St Germain des Pres area.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gare du Nord doesn't look terrible, inasmuch as we'd be going through there anyway. Seems the best option out of what's listed here: http://www.visitingeu.com/western-europe/france/2007/04/paris-left-luggage-and-bag-storage.html. This is what we have been planning to do, absent some other better solution popping up. The OrlyBus checkin possibility is very interesting and I'll have to look into that.

Luxembourg/St. Germain des Pres sounds like a good plan. We're going to be staying close to the Tuilleries on the return. Museum recommendations are great as well - we may just look to stroll around and find a pleasant cafe + non-touristic place to dine.

The flight leaves at 9 and the meal service would be whatever they provide for Indian Ocean biz flights. I don't really see any reason not to have some sort of light/early dinner prior to departure. Probably just go by whenever my wife is hungry.

Any tips on non-touristic places are of course greatly appreciated. Wine bar + snacks sounds like a good fit. Our expectation is really just to stroll around, enjoy ourselves, and not worry about much beyond that.

We have 2-3 days on the way back, so any other suggestions are great as well. This will be our first time spending any meaningful time in Paris.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another idea would be to have a late lunch. You can order until 1:45-2:00 pm in almost every restaurant, sometimes even later, and lunch can be cheaper and easier to get reservations, with more prix fixe menus offered. Dinner usually starts at 8 except in touristic places and takes hours, so not an option before your flight. My guess is that there will be a dinner or supper served on board a long haul AF 9 pm departure in business class and it will feel too early to just sleep then anyway, especially if you're on USA time.

If you'll be around the 6th on the way back for a few days, you might want to think about exploring an area of Paris either near or easily accessible from the Gare du Nord. Ideas could include the Marais, the area around Moulin Rouge in the daytime, Montmatre, etc. If you've never been, try Musee du Monde Arabe near the river (Place Jusseiu) in the 5th. There's a bar on the rooftop as well as a stylish restaurant specializing in north african/mideast cuisine. (It's not cheap for dinner, but a drink and possibly snack would be a pleasant late afternoon activity.)

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Late lunch sounds like a perfect fit - any personal suggestions/recommendations? Absent any sort of nap during the day, I expect we may be pretty well shot and ready to sleep by 9pm, but that also depends on how well we sleep on the way over etc. My body tends to prioritize "I haven't got much sleep lately" over "It's noon, so you should be awake" and for the most part my wife is similar (but we're missing recent points of reference on the jetlag front). My last trip to Europe was one of the WAW fares back in Nov, and I took a nice relaxing nap at I think around 5 Warsaw time upon arrival, plus slept at relatively normal sleeping hours - my internal clock is fairly malleable.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you're a foodie and you think your jet lag will allow you to appreciate fine food, this could be a good chance to make a reservation in one of Paris's iconic top restaurants. Look at Michelin or Gault Millault for suggestions in good locations for you. OTOH, if you're in BE/Affaires, there will be lots of food.

9. United747&777Expert

United747&777Expert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would it have been possible to go CDG? I'm pretty sure you have to store them in ORY

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to Orly directly upon arrival is likely to be pointless as the OP probably cannot check in and check bags very early.