Checking bags through on >24hr connection?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unavaca, Feb 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 25 hour connection on an International itinerary, UA to SQ. Can I check my bags through to my final destination?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost certainly not.

3. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I concur- but worth firm question

4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    25h is not a connection, but a stop over. You will have to collect your bags and check in separately for your SQ flight.

5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was originally a 23 hour connection, but standby made it a 25 hour connection. Does that change things?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There might be hope if you are taking the first connecting flight to your destination. The usual international stopover rules say less than 24 hours or the first possible flight.

7. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mean it wouldnt hurt to ask the agent when you are checking in and pleading your case. But I agree with everyone, plan to pick up your bags, and if you dont have to, thats a plus.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, while 24 hours defines a connection for fare rules purposes it doesn't always define such for checked bag purposes. I've heard of 12 hour max times with some airport/partner combinations, too. Plus, odd of them remembering to find your bag an load it on the plane 24 hours later are less than stellar. Why not just collect the bag, leave them at the left luggage facility in the airport if necessary, and then check them back in for the next flight. Yes, there is a small bit of additional work (and possibly expense) there, but the bags are much more likely to make it through the connection unscathed.

genemk2, rharrigill, sfo1 and 2 others like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not is a matter of not wanting to get back to the airport as early, not wanting to wait in an extra line for bag drop, and not wanting to risk missing the flight because of this.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the :rolleyes: but true answer it's a security thing for the Airlines not to hold onto baggage for anything that resembles a stopover or a looong connection over 12 hours.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have successfully checked luggage through for overnight connections, some approaching 24 hours. I've even had agents automatically do it without my requesting it or, in fact, even asking me initially until I asked them whether they were checking the bag through.

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your itinerary in the computer looks like A-B-C then it will allow you however if it looks like A-B/B-C then it won't let you do it unless the agent manually builds the bagtag.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume it would have been A-B-C because these were tickets using a through fare with legal connections. No direct flights were involved so there would have been no reason for someone to have ticketed as A-B/B-C.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah sometimes the computer i.e for me I had a IAD-FRA(12:55 connection)FRA-BRU built as A-B-C it worked since I booked it as such online but then another time I called it in IAD-MUC(08:25 connection)MUC-FRA it showed as A-B/B-C so they had to fix the tag so it went to FRA.

SFOGate probably could comment more on this than me though.