Checking bags at the gate -- Don't!!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Aug 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was waiting for my flight out of SFO to take off, when the passenger behind me mentioned to the FA that he saw two bags that obviously hadn't been loaded just sitting outside -- one at the top of the stairs attached to the jetway, and one at the bottom of the chute that is attached to the side of the stairs.

It took a good 15 minutes for a handler to roll up in his vehicle and take care of them. He climbed up the stairs, took the suitcase and literally threw it down the chute, where it crashed into the one at the bottom, bounced up in the air and then landed on its side. He then went into the jetway and one-by-one threw about 10 more bags down the chute. It was fun watching them go and seeing them bounce this way and that at the bottom -- especially since they weren't MY bags. :)

I wish I had taken a video of the scene, but the basic lesson I learned is NOT to allow your bag to be checked at the gate, at least not at SFO where it's going to experience its own joyride. If course, if you don't pack anything breakable, have an indestructible bag AND they remember to load it onto the plane, then I guess it doesn't matter....

Paolo Scuri and daninstl like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just check your bags. It's is so much less stress. Sure you lose a bag now and then but it's really worth it not having to schlep it all over, watch it in the terminal, try to lift it into the overcrowded overhead bins while everyone around you waits, etc. only to have to wait at the other end if you have to gate check and take a chance it won't make the plane after being thrown down the chute in the rain, etc.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you think the bags checked via other means are treated much differently then I might have a bridge to sell you. Checked bags are abused throughout the process. It is just part of the way of the world.

boondr, Gtitan, Flyer1976 and 5 others like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I abuse my bag cramming it into the overhead bin. My wife tells me regularly to be gentler with them.

But I will say the expectation of abuse is why we have stopped caring any liquids home in checked package (when we check it, which is rare) – long gone are the days when we would consider bring home something like honey. And I will pull my iPad from my carryon if gate checking, even if I don’t need it, from fear of both damage and pilfering.

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

Wow. Honey. My worst was two bottles of Sherry breaking in checked bags. Made it really easy to find the bag after that.

viguera and iolaire like this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The honey didn't spill, but after 9-11 we moved to carry on only, checking knives and liquids is the only attraction of check baggage, but the fear of spillage is too high for liquids.

Mapsmith and viguera like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

We moved to carry-on as well unless it can't be helped... but if we're checking anything we have gallon-sized ziplocks that things go into -- toothpaste, lotions, etc.

Won't do much for big bottles of liquor, but that's the world we live in :(

Mapsmith and iolaire like this.
  9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you think bags are treated bad go into a food distribution facility. You will never want to eat again.

10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is S.O.P. for any airline. AS does it all the time up here in Seattle as well. The chutes are fun for the bags; they get a free joy ride.

-Rob

11. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew through sfo yesterday with carry on on an international flight from NRT connecting to.cle

I.always carry on.given the tightness of the connection and typically hate check my bag on the onward flight.

Not yesterday as I was told the gate checked bags were going under and would be claimed.at baggagr claim rather than on the jetway.

Glad I kept it on board

Mapsmith and viguera like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gate-checked bags on mainline always go to baggage claim. Only RJs get them back at plane-side.

13. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And it has been that way for at least 40+ years. See this ad from American Tourister :p

ducster and Mapsmith like this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    He was confused being ex-CLE and all. :p

15. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally I carry it.the whole way unless.the connection is onto a regional jet with the wallet sized overheads....so yes your 100% correct

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was kidding but it's easy to get confused.

17. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love that commercial- exactly what I was thinking about while reading the first posts of this thread.