checked out early by hotel

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ACPanda, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I had a rather odd experience this weekend. I have a HP nearby that has very decent rates on weekends. I also realize that I will likely be a few stays short of diamond and with the current promo there are a lot of bonus points on the table. The rate is decent enough that the cost/benefit analysis leaned toward booking this hotel on weekends during the promo.

I booked 2 nights this weekend. I stopped by the morning of check-out and my key no longer worked. I went to the front desk and they said I checked-out early after one night. I never told anyone I was checking out early. They asked if I had anything in the room. I said no that I needed to take everything with me when I was out. Their claim is that housekeeping assumed I left.

They then started down the path that I should tell them if I am not leaving anything in the room to make sure housekeeping doesn't think I checked out. I then said that I can't be the first person in the world that needs to take all of their stuff with them during the day and this should not imply that this means one checked-out.

I have more reservations booked with this hotel, but am thinking of moving them to another property that is a bit further away. It is less convenient for me but I want the hotel to realize they made a mistake in their assumptions.

They ended up only charging me for 1 night, though it was a pre-paid rate, but I am still not happy with the overall experience.

JohnDeere19 and uggboy like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wow. That does sound a bit bizarre. One would think they'd want the revenue night. When you say they only charged you for one night, did they give you credit for two nights? If not, kind of defeats the purpose of your MR.

ACPanda and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing story! What an experience, have seriously never heard of such interesting assumptions by cleaning staff in any hotel! Thanks for sharing!

ACPanda likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, hope he has received his points plus bonus for two nights despite getting only charged 1 night!

ACPanda likes this.
  5. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    The manager was not at the hotel, but they did say they would talk to the manager and have them call GP to make sure I got credit for 2 nights. The folio only has one night so I would guess that someone at GP would have to manually credit the 2nd night to my account. We will see in a couple of days if that actually happens.

uggboy likes this.
  6. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I would think housekeeping is so busy trying to quickly clean rooms that they wouldn't pay that much attention to the luggage in the room, or lack of luggage in the room.

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep us up to date here at MP!;)

8. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Actually this type of outcome is often warned about by myself and others regarding multi-night mattress runs - if you can, leave a piece of luggage or something in the room so that they don't think that you had already left.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had similar at the Hyatt Place East near Dulles. It was only a single night but I was checked out by the time I got back for breakfast. And for the same reason, housekeeping didn't see anything in my room [I question what they were doing in my room that early though?]

Cheers

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that because all items are removed from my room I need for a night eg. laptop, shirt, trouser and so on, this should not mean that the housekeeping staff has the liberty to assume the guest has left or checked out!:confused:

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting story, again, the housekeeping staff should have no liberty at all to decide such matters like, the guest has checked out, it is not their job and when the guest has indeed checked out, this is a matter for the reception staff. Do not know the housekeeping timing here, but it seems a bit odd indeed and even strange! I am also find it strange that such cases do occur from time to time and it is great we hear and get informed at MP!:confused:

12. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't surprise me at all....have heard many stories like this on multi night runs.....and the hotel can do what it wants.....and the maid is not deciding, the front desk is.....I always mess up the bed, and leave a book and/or tshirt for every night. And they are also checking your card access I'm told to see if you are there or not.

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So unless you explicitly check out with the front desk, you want the hotel to assume that you still use the room?

Given that a lot of people just walk ou of the hotel without talking to the front desk, that would mean a lot of rooms couldn't be cleaned until noon (or whenever check-out time is), making early check-ins more difficult to accommodate. I prefer the current approach.

thegrailer and uggboy like this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is fairly standard operating procedure at most hotels.

If housekeeping turns up in a room with absolutely nothing in it, they clean it, but report their findings to the front office manager (perhaps through housekeeping management). Front office will then likely check you out.

I had this happen to me once in the late-90s at the then Rihga Royal hotel in New York (now the London NYC). I rented the room for two nights to camp out in periodically, as I was working on a deal which would be a two or three day essentially non-stop affair. Behold, the second day, my key didn't work. Upon inquiry, I was told exactly what happened (I was a regular guest, and friends with the then night manager.) They said simply to leave word at the desk in situations like this. They're happy to let you keep (and pay for) the room vacant and there is no stigma, but they said they were more likely to find themselves in a situation where a guest thought they used an express checkout option, but failed to do so, versus someone who takes all of their things. An early checker-out would clearly by upset if they were charged for a subsequent night (assuming the hotel allowed changes in departure w/o penalty). It seems likely that there are far more early checkouts than rooms left with nothing in them.

A simple word in advance with the front office will clear this up, which I have learned to do. Simply saying you're not sure when you will be back will be fine; no need for detailed explanations.

In the case at the Rihga, as luck would have it, my room had been reassigned, but the property offered me a room in a higher room category instead (at my old rate). I'd found myself in this situation (leaving a room vacant) a number of times since, including at the Rihga as well as the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney, and with advance word to the front office, I have never had a problem leaving a room vacant in such situations.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even informing the front office is not a 100% guarantee: In the 1990s, when I relocated from the Bay Area to South Florida, I "lived" at the Miami Airport Marriott for a few weeks before moving into permanent housing. One weekend, my father, who was in the hospital back in California, took a turn for the worse and I flew out there on a weekend (it ended up being a close call, thank goodness).

Before leaving, I notified the office (not the front desk) that I was going to fly out on Friday and would return on Monday. I was taking my luggage but leaving most of my clothes, etc. Management assured me that everything would be OK.

Well, on my return on Monday evening, not only didn't the key didn't work, a very annoyed man opened the room door, wondering why I was trying to break into his room. Turns out that housekeeping had never been notified of my arrangement with the office, and after noticing that the room had remained un-slept in for three successive nights, the housekeeping manager had ordered my possessions to be removed and stored, and for me to be checked out.

I did get everything back, and the GM did offer some points as an apology - the bad part for me was that it just added to the stress of worrying over my father's health, not to mention dealing with life in a new city.

uggboy likes this.
  16. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My stay was a mattress run. I was "staying" at the Hyatt and the SPG next door. The SPG has a nicer room so I slept there and wanted to eat breakfast back at the Hyatt. I like the idea of not having to check out but the window of time between checking in and going back for breakfast was just too short imo. [there is no turn down at HP and I arrived late on a Fri].

I now follow the advice above, mess up the sheets, run the sink for a few seconds, pull a few sheets off the tp roll, etc. My rooms now look lived in.

On a side note, try explaining to that your colleagues, while running late for a flight or a train, that you do not have to go wait in line and check out - let's get in a taxi an get to the airport/train station.

uggboy likes this.
  17. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow I can't believe things like this actually happen. What horrible experiences some of you have had even when taking appropriate steps.

uggboy likes this.
  18. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On my mattress runs, I don't mess up the bed - why make work for housekeeping - but I do usually take the toiletries to give to charity.

thegrailer, uggboy and cennas like this.
  19. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually leave a "do not disturb" sign and call to check out if I wasn't back at the hotel. I don't think the hotel has any right to check out a customer simply because there was no luggage or items in the room. If I book a room I expect to be able to use it up until the regular check out time.

thegrailer and uggboy like this.
  20. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to make work for the staff either but is there another way to "keep" the room rather than risk being checked out by the staff? My mattress runs are typically at a second hotel in a different chain near where I am staying for the night [and usually only during a promo e.g. SPG resorts promo or Hyatt's FFN]. I like to keep the other room just in case something goes wrong at the first. Suggestions?

21. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They won't check you out until housekeeping checks the room the morning after the night of the "stay" anyways - and since SPG FRN & Hyatt FFN (at least in the past) are based on stays you won't be doing any multi-night MRs anyways, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem.

I had a rather unique experience today. Last night I was "at" my local Hyatt for a MR, got the web-out email this morning to which I responded that I would check out at 11:30 - went back for breakfast and then front desk to checkout at 11:15 - someone else was already checked into my room.

22. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also agree that this is fairly standard OP at hotels if the bed's unslept in and there's no luggage in the room. I make it a point to tell the front desk and to have it added to my record if I'm doing something like that, and I also put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, noting that to the front desk. I'm actually in the middle of something similar at a Hilton hotel, with check out scheduled for tomorrow. I'll see how that goes.