Checked luggage

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by milerunner, May 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. milerunner

milerunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey so curiosity has the best of me. I have traveled a couple "hidden city" routings, 2 times on purpose, once unexpectedly to help a friend in a city I was connecting in. The 2 times I did it on purpose I didn't check bags, the time I did it unexpectedly I did have bags checked and they went all the way through.

So that leads me to this question if I was to book a refundable fare or even a non refundable if it's cheap and I checked bags on it then never take the flight do the bags go through on the scheduled flights or do they hold them at your origin?

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you believe the airlines, it depends...

I believe, technically, the rule is that your bags don't go if you don't go. However, if you *ask* to have your bags back because you're not flying, they'll probably try to tell you that they're already loaded and there's nothing they can do.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bags fly without people all the time, even internationally. It is much harder to separate yourself from a bag than to have a bag separated from you, but both do happen. But, especially on domestic trips, I would not expect this to be a useful means to side-step the rules about short-checking bags.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to ship some bags for cheap, eh?

I have no idea what to expect. The last time I saw an example of this (nearly ten years ago!), the bag did go without the passenger. I don't think you can't count on that happening every time. If you can stand the risk that the bag won't go, perhaps it's worth trying.

milerunner and Newscience like this.
  5. milerunner

milerunner Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's worth a try if I really needed to cheap out I suppose. Like I said it's a preliminary idea that I probably wouldn't need to do but if the opportunity arises I may try it :)

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard some airline staff say that you cannot voluntarily separate yourself from a checked bag, but it's OK if they do so or if it's uncertain to you where the bag is.