Checked luggage on domestic stopover?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by apgrizzwald, May 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm somewhat hiding my question here because I didn't want to make a new thread. Call me shy. -I'm about to book a domestic stopover but in this naive first-time booking, I'm really not clear on what happens to checked luggage. If I arrive at DCA at 5pm then continue on the next day at 9am - Will my checked luggage be freed/released for the overnight?:confused:

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Hope you don't mind, but i brought your question out into the daylight! Actually a good question and might help others who are considering the same as it is very important especially when putting a stopover into an international flight as well.

The trick is to never let the airlines decide for you. Best practice is when you check in for your flight to have your bag checked only to the city of your stopover, thus ensuring it is available to you. When arriving back at airport in the a.m., recheck your bag to your final destination. After this, you'll have moved from "naive" to "native" and Milepoint will be right there with you along the way.

As a reminder, if the flight has Gogo inflight internet, you can log onto Milepoint.com either by browser or app for free and continue posting while the flight gets you to where you are going.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, if you are subject to baggage fees, doing this will require you to pay twice for your bag.

It can matter whether this is part of an international ticket. If yes, then this overnight would be a connection, not a stopover, because it's less than 24 hours and the ticket should have been priced accordingly. In this case, you can usually specify at the first check in whether you want to retrieve the bag or check it through. YMMV.

4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it is a true international trip with customs in the US you get your luggage back no matter what. Then you can decide whether to check it.

DCA has no custom and immigration so that is not an option there.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you must walk the luggage through customs, but if you have a long gap before the next flight, you might not be able to check in a bag if it isn't already tagged to your final destination. Airports have rules about not accepting checked bags too early.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As do airlines.

Most of my experiences have been that anything over 12 hours was at least the customer's option to short-check the bag.